Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

New posts


  Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law

Divorce & Family Law This forum is for discussing any of the legal issues involved in your divorce.

LinkBack Thread Tools
  #31 (permalink)  
Old 04-09-2014, 12:30 AM
mcdreamy's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,414
mcdreamy is on a distinguished road

Clicklaw, wikibooks has some helpful comments but, of course, keep the source in mind (refer to sec. 6)

Wouldn't it be smarter strategy on your part to complete this draft final order based on the agreed-to settlement, and complete the transfer the house to you, etc. Then in 6 months, revisit by way of a motion to vary, based on a material change i.e. new job? If you try to change the terms of settlement now (and you may or may not be successful with that), you know you'll lose his consent to transfer the house and it will be back to the drawing board on everything.

Resolving Family Law Problems out of Court - Clicklaw Wikibooks
Reply With Quote
  #32 (permalink)  
Old 04-09-2014, 12:44 AM
Hand of Justice
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: In the Shadows
Posts: 3,143
Links17 is on a distinguished road

A few things:

1. If he works for one of the largest telecom companies they are probably based in a western country and even if their employees are based elsewhere they still have to enforce the laws of those countries of which the vast majority will enforce a canadian CS agreement.

2. Even if that other country WONT enforce a Canadian CS agreement it doesn't mean you can't SEEK Child support from that country's system. I haven't come across a country that doesn't believe a person shouldn't support their child.

All those pieces of evidence you pointed out are enough to prove he works. I am sure you could use it as a basis to impoute income.
Reply With Quote
  #33 (permalink)  
Old 04-09-2014, 09:12 AM
Senior Member
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 505
takeontheworld has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Thats what im leaning towards right now Mcdreamy.

Links...sharia law is the law of the land there and not only eould I not get child support, I would also lose custody.
Reply With Quote
  #34 (permalink)  
Old 04-09-2014, 09:23 AM
arabian's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Western Canada
Posts: 9,960
arabian will become famous soon enough

Sharia law or Eskimo law - one still needs a passport to enter Canada.

I would work with your lawyer to get income imputed and then let the maintenance enforcement process work it's course.
Reply With Quote
  #35 (permalink)  
Old 04-09-2014, 10:45 AM
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 72
Reality is on a distinguished road

McDreamy has the best advise on here. You must be strategic and this does not happen quickly. Breathe.

1)You already signed the minutes of settlement. This is final. Lawyers typing it up and filing it with the courts with your signature is administrative only. Frankly they can file the hand written copy if they have to, there is no family law that I am aware of that it must be typed. Judicial Endorsements are filed hand written by judges all the time.

2)Do not block this process or try to appeal this before 6 months. You will probably be handed the costs of the other party for completely irritating the judge and the other lawyer.

3)Do everything in the order as agreed.

4)Does you settlement agreement state anything about yearly disclosure requriements for both parties?

5)Open a Motion to Change under a material change of cirucmstances ideally after he has not provided disclosure as ordered in the agreement. Or if you do not have this clause to base it on you submit your evidence you have gathered of new employment.

6)Once in front of a judge prove income and have it imputed. If you fail to prove income in the judge's view ask in alternate to impute for minimum wage.

7)File the exisiting order and the amendment order that adjusts the CS clause with FRO.

8)FRO will go through the enforcement process for you and eventually suspend his passport.

By the time this is all complete if things go smoothly it will be approximately 2-3 years.

Please note this strategy is only possible if you did not accept lump sum CS as equity of the home. I read you actually accepted equity in the house as debt equalization and no CS was agreed to because you thought he had no employment (this was a mistake on your part). Not to worry about your mistake it will just take time to fix.

Hope that helps. Always consult a lawyer about any advise you receive on this forum.
Reply With Quote
  #36 (permalink)  
Old 04-09-2014, 12:38 PM
Hand of Justice
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: In the Shadows
Posts: 3,143
Links17 is on a distinguished road

Considering that he accepted you have custody (you have that in writing?) that isn't disputable, even if he does dispute it canadian law would override and judgement made over there.

If you get a child support order from the other country it might not be the same as Canada would order but it would be enforceable.

But ok...
Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Changing Interim Order to a Final Order golf.fanatic Divorce & Family Law 0 03-13-2014 04:20 PM
Amending A Final Order skins56 Divorce & Family Law 5 03-26-2013 08:08 AM
FRO Motion and Costs + Final Order (imputed income) vs Actual income sahibjee Financial Issues 18 10-04-2012 10:12 PM
A Final Order was created at Settlement by the Judge Pharah Divorce & Family Law 5 02-13-2011 06:42 PM
Agreement vs Final Order inlimbo Divorce & Family Law 2 04-07-2007 01:11 AM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:00 AM.