Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law

Divorce & Family Law This forum is for discussing any of the legal issues involved in your divorce.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2016, 01:53 PM

ifonlyihadknown is on a distinguished road
Default "Approved as to form & Content"

Final settlement and divorce order in my case. It's been over 2 years to get this far.

On the Divorce Order, the STBX's lawyer put a stamp of Approved as to "From & Content" with a place to date and sign.

Any idea what this is?

I'm self-representing if that makes a difference, and the stamp is where my lawyer's name would go if I had one.

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-09-2016, 02:44 PM

OrleansLawyer is a jewel in the roughOrleansLawyer is a jewel in the roughOrleansLawyer is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
On the Divorce Order, the STBX's lawyer put a stamp of Approved as to "From & Content" with a place to date and sign.
When a case settles, both parties will approve an order as to "form and content" - meaning they have read over what the judge will sign and acknowledge that this represents their agreement.

With both parties having approved the order it is then sent to the judge to sign off on (after reviewing for irregularities).
Old 11-09-2016, 08:40 PM

Dumpedatlowestpoint is on a distinguished road

I'm self rep and my exs lawyer just asked me to do the same thing. So I guess it's common. I'll be signing that on the consent order tomorrow at TMC.
Old 11-09-2016, 10:18 PM

Janus will become famous soon enough

Just make sure that it says what you think it says.

An experienced lawyer will probably keep the wording true to the ruling, but a new lawyer might think that it would be clever to be "sneaky" and get something by you.
Old 11-10-2016, 08:20 AM

Tayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janus View Post
Just make sure that it says what you think it says.

An experienced lawyer will probably keep the wording true to the ruling, but a new lawyer might think that it would be clever to be "sneaky" and get something by you.
That isn't just "new" lawyers. It is "sneaky" lawyers.
Old 11-10-2016, 08:53 AM

ifonlyihadknown is on a distinguished road

Hmmmmm... If something "sneaky" was to happen, do family law judges typically say, "you snooze, you loose! " or slap down the sneaky party.

Not that it's happening in my case, I'm just curious.
Old 11-10-2016, 11:30 AM

OrleansLawyer is a jewel in the roughOrleansLawyer is a jewel in the roughOrleansLawyer is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
If something "sneaky" was to happen, do family law judges typically say, "you snooze, you loose! " or slap down the sneaky party.

Not that it's happening in my case, I'm just curious.
If you came back and argued mistake later, it could be changed - for example, if you signed over equalization of $200,000 instead of $20,000 because you misread the document.

But if people are not working off of an agreement (ie, transcribing minutes of settlement into an order) then the risk of the mistake costing you goes up.

Most people find it to be prudent to avoid signing agreement if you do not agree.