Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law

Divorce & Family Law This forum is for discussing any of the legal issues involved in your divorce.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2016, 08:38 PM

The-Iceberg is on a distinguished road
Default an anusual case

I have a friend in Brandon, MB. We talk online and this is what he told me. He has a 5 year old from a common law relationship. He used to pay CS after separation. Then he would miss a payment from time to time. His ex works part time. He was paying $400 in CS (IDK if it was an order or agreement) and she got upset when he would miss a payment. He has stopped seeing his son. He called him once to see him and police came to his door and apparently told him never to call again.

Is he hiding something like being dangerous for the kid or not, Im not sure. It all started a few months ago. They were seeing each other as friends (with the kid) until the CS angered mom.

He said he is not allowed to have any contact with the boy at all. Now here is where the weird thing comes.

He said he will never pay CS anymore and will "write off" his son as not to have nothing with him ever. The "court" told him if he "writes off" his right and any relationship with his son, he doesn't need to pay CS.

I don't believe that such thing is possible. I believe he still has to pay some CS no matter what. Am I right? I wanna put some sense in his head and help him but he claims what he is saying is true.
Old 10-28-2016, 09:10 PM

undersc0re is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Iceberg View Post
I have a friend in Brandon, MB. We talk online and this is what he told me. He has a 5 year old from a common law relationship. He used to pay CS after separation. Then he would miss a payment from time to time. His ex works part time. He was paying $400 in CS (IDK if it was an order or agreement) and she got upset when he would miss a payment. He has stopped seeing his son. He called him once to see him and police came to his door and apparently told him never to call again.

Is he hiding something like being dangerous for the kid or not, Im not sure. It all started a few months ago. They were seeing each other as friends (with the kid) until the CS angered mom.

He said he is not allowed to have any contact with the boy at all. Now here is where the weird thing comes.

He said he will never pay CS anymore and will "write off" his son as not to have nothing with him ever. The "court" told him if he "writes off" his right and any relationship with his son, he doesn't need to pay CS.

I don't believe that such thing is possible. I believe he still has to pay some CS no matter what. Am I right? I wanna put some sense in his head and help him but he claims what he is saying is true.
I have heard of it in Winnipeg, the mother moved far away, alienated the kid from father, father got lawyer and a deal was made that he does not pay child support anymore, I think a few other things happened like mother did not notify father before moving and a deal was made that new husband was going to adopt the kid...whether adoption went through I am not sure...Kid was around 14 at the time.