Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law

Divorce & Family Law This forum is for discussing any of the legal issues involved in your divorce.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2005, 12:52 PM

Rainy_Thursday is on a distinguished road
Default Annulment of Divorce

Does annulment of divorce restore a marriage's validity to the original date of marriage? Is this motion permissible in Canada?

Just wondering... a read about it a magazine.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Old 10-13-2005, 08:12 PM
Administrator

Jeff has much to be proud ofJeff has much to be proud ofJeff has much to be proud ofJeff has much to be proud ofJeff has much to be proud ofJeff has much to be proud ofJeff has much to be proud ofJeff has much to be proud of

Hi Rainy Thursday and welcome to the forums!

If you get an annulment it's as if your marriage never happened. Annulments are rare in Canada as the conditions to get one are pretty strict:
http://www.ottawadivorce.com/annulment.htm

Note that this is different from a religious annulment. If that's what you're asking about your best bet is to speak to your particular religious leader about the requirements.
Old 10-14-2005, 11:11 AM

Rainy_Thursday is on a distinguished road

Thanks Jeff. I guess you as well confused "annulment of divorce" with annulment. Here are two links about annulment of divorce:

http://www.lrc.state.ky.us/KRS/403-00/040.PDF

http://forum.freeadvice.com/archive/.../t-278609.html

From those links, my understanding is that an annulment of divorce could only be done while the divorce is not yet finalized. I wonder if such a motion can be done after a divorce has been finalized and if so, whether it is permissible and recognized (appears permissible in USA) in Canada.
Old 10-18-2005, 10:09 AM
Administrator

Jeff has much to be proud ofJeff has much to be proud ofJeff has much to be proud ofJeff has much to be proud ofJeff has much to be proud ofJeff has much to be proud ofJeff has much to be proud ofJeff has much to be proud of

Interesting - I have never heard of such a thing. I don't think it exists in Canada.
Old 10-19-2005, 02:48 PM

kconnections is on a distinguished road

That is interesting. I have not heard of this and I live in the US> At anytime before I divorce goes to final step you can stop a divorce anyway can't you?
Old 10-19-2005, 10:03 PM
Administrator

Yes, if there's no divorce order, you can simply stop your legal proceedings and then there will be no divorce.

I think the reason no one's heard of this is that it's pretty rare for a divorced couple to want to be married again. Although stranger things have happened!