Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law

Divorce & Family Law This forum is for discussing any of the legal issues involved in your divorce.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2014, 11:23 AM

DowntroddenDad will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by drainedbysystem View Post
You're right, the abuse is indeed irellevant. It happened during the marriage now its over. The abuse is now within a legal realm. He has not provided frank financial disclosure after being court ordered to do so. Absolutley driving up my court costs. Filing for increased access via motions. I have always increased via consent. Its not a war for me. In terms of dividing assets, impossible without financial disclosure. He is fighting me for sole custody despite me offering him joint. I am now reconsidering the idea of joint. I cant work with someone who degrades me.

He has also refused any type of financial support. The judge didn't see things his way.
There are many studies and much case law that supports the idea that joint custody is in the best interests of the children. Don't file for sole unless he is not compentent to parent because of mental health, substance abuse or other issues.

Clearly his actions are getting to you, and my spouse was similar in some ways. You have to ignore the noise, and focus on the basics. Push for financial disclosure. Has a judge ordered it yet?
Old 03-21-2014, 11:23 AM

drainedbysystem is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntroddenDad View Post
Classic emotional reasoning - he abused me, so I should get what I want in court.

I'm not for a moment excusing abuse.

But Arabian is correct, it doesn't have an impact on the things that need to happen, unless the children were abused.

All I want from the courts is to help end this war. Its costing me too much emotionally and financially. Help me with a court ordered and detailed parentlng plan. Divide my assets fairly 50/50. And press the re start button on moving forward with my life.
Old 03-21-2014, 11:25 AM

arabian will become famous soon enough

Then your most eloquent and competent lawyer should have filed for an interim order for support and said order should be filed with FRO/MEP.

Many of us have to fight for years for full financial disclosure. Many people do not received financial disclosure.

Do you have an interim order for support?
Old 03-21-2014, 11:29 AM

The judge ordered financial disclosure. He didn't comply. How on earth can one parent have joint custody when the other parent has made it their mission to be angry and un co operative. The only glimmer of hope is the access centre who facilitates exchanges so our kids dont see conflict. But what abt parenting decisions? Is there a third party out there to help?
Old 03-21-2014, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arabian View Post
Then your most eloquent and competent lawyer should have filed for an interim order for support and said order should be filed with FRO/MEP.

Many of us have to fight for years for full financial disclosure. Many people do not received financial disclosure.

Do you have an interim order for support?

Yes thank goodness! My lawyer's great.
Old 03-21-2014, 11:33 AM

So your lawyer didn't get an interim order of support then. It [interim order] is an excellent tool to encourage people to provide full financial disclosure as often the order for support is hefty. Does your lawyer have much experience in family law?

You will likely have discourse until matters are settled. Lawyers make lots and lots of money off clients who cannot come to agreement.
Old 03-21-2014, 11:37 AM

Family court is a money-driven process.

What point are you at in your negotiations? How many case conferences have you had?
Old 03-21-2014, 11:38 AM

Thanks for your feedback. Omg the things you learn from someone who has already suffered from a similar ordeal.

Sorry to hear about your experience.
Old 03-21-2014, 11:39 AM

one case conference and headed to settlement conference this summer.
Old 03-21-2014, 11:39 AM

Has your lawyer made a Formal Offer to Settle?