Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law

Divorce & Family Law This forum is for discussing any of the legal issues involved in your divorce.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2014, 04:58 PM

standing on the sidelines is on a distinguished road

the CPR course is a great idea. You may not need the parenting classes but you have to admit, it would look good for a judge and that is what matters the most here (the baby matters the most but in a custody/access case its what the judge sees or reads that's important). Presenting the most positive image you can will only help you.
Old 01-04-2014, 05:03 PM

Serene is on a distinguished road

Just a word of caution:

Quote:
Just with regards to the parenting classes some of you mentioned. I felt like I was pretty much Mr. Mom when my son came home from the hospital.
I also wouldn't bring up the post partum depression. Is it relevant? Likely not. AND it could get you in deep water. If you say she wasn't fit to care for the child because she was so depressed, maybe she isn't fit to work as well? Or it impeded her ability to work? In any event, PPD often comes along with having a baby. If you dropped a brick on your right foot and couldn't drive to go and pick up your child you'd expect someone to accommodate you in doing just that so you didn't miss out on seeing your child. By the same token, don't penalize mom because she had PPD.

Always pick and choose your words carefully. You might be a good father, but illustrate that with what good things you do and not by emphasizing what mom didn't do correctly. I think that will get you further.

Another thing that would be helpful is to have a plan. Do you know what to do if the baby is colic? If you have an emergency? If you are tired or sick or stressed when caring for the baby? Always have a back up plan in terms of family members and friends that can support you and assist you in any thing that life throws at you.

I can't say for certain that a parenting class would augment what you are seeking. But it surely can't hurt.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:09 AM

involveddad75 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hova View Post
Given that I was doing everything, do you think it's necessary to do the parenting classes to show the court I was involved? I do plan on taking infant CPR in the next couple of weeks.
If she hasn't come out and said in an affidavit you were "super dad" then parenting classes will help.
That said even if she did say that, parenting classes will still help.

They are a neutral third party account that showed that you participated in classes to be a better parent. To learn what to expect and how to deal with situations that arises when raising children.

It is a win win, no risk of loss other than the time it takes to attend.
Old 01-06-2014, 01:02 PM

FWB is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
It is a win win, no risk of loss other than the time it takes to attend.
No Doubt!

Quote:
Parental classes today are no longer limited to new parents. You have classes that help you deal with a wide spectrum of parental issues like anger management, looking after children with special needs, dealing with bullying or abuse; there are sessions that deal specifically with raising teenagers, and frankly, there isn't a parent who would refuse help when it comes to interacting with teenagers.
Source