Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Domestic Violence

Domestic Violence Dealing with abuse and violence. Getting support and help.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2012, 01:52 PM

FamilyBlah is on a distinguished road
Default The Witch Hunt as a Structure of Argumentation

http://www.dougwalton.ca/papers%20in...6WitchHunt.pdf

This is a very interesting read; especially for anyone having to deal with false allegations of abuse during a child custody dispute.

Is there any value in taking the specifics of one's own litigation and attempting to show how they clearly demonstrate an example of this type of structure of argument? How or when would one present this?
Old 07-17-2012, 03:38 PM

Tayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyBlah View Post
http://www.dougwalton.ca/papers%20in...6WitchHunt.pdf

This is a very interesting read; especially for anyone having to deal with false allegations of abuse during a child custody dispute.

Is there any value in taking the specifics of one's own litigation and attempting to show how they clearly demonstrate an example of this type of structure of argument? How or when would one present this?
Very similar to Dr. Lawson's archetype for "The Witch" in her book "The Borderline Mother".

The World of the Borderline Mother--And Her Children | Psychology Today

Understanding the Borderline Mother: Helping Her Children Transcend the Intense, Unpredictable, and Volatile Relationshi: Helping Her Children Transcend the Intense, Unpredictable, and Volatile Relationship: Amazon.ca: Christine Ann Lawson: Books

Markham's Behavioral Health: The Borderline Witch - Part three- The Witch's motto: Life Is War
Old 07-17-2012, 03:56 PM

winterwolf7 is on a distinguished road

Interesting analysis, and yes I was the victim of a witch hunt with all the properties described therein.

Honestly, I do not know to this day what awful registries and lists my name was added to, despite there being no charges and no evidence of any kind. On the contrary, I faced the burden of "guilty until proven innocent" which took an enormous amount of time and resources (money) to convince authorities that there was no abuse at home.
Old 07-17-2012, 04:05 PM

In my case, both me and my new partner were both going through divorces, and BOTH of our former spouses used it. The child was injured at daycare while we were at work, when we got the child home we found the injury (it was of a sexual nature) and took the child to the hospital.

During the resulting investigation, both former spouses jumped on the bandwagon individually against us with awful accusations and the daycare was not properly investigated as a result. In fact the daycare closed and moved to another city as soon as the investigation started. It took us more than 7 months to be reunited and my partner lost custody.
Old 07-17-2012, 04:18 PM

wretchedotis is on a distinguished road

Because women are historically and stereotypically the weaker sex, as a result the 'system' has been structured to balance that with the strength of accusation to being powerful.

Added to that, the very nature of such acts (should they be true upon accusation) are reprehensable. As a just society, we must investigate all such claims and take appropriate action.

As to why fraudelent claims appear to be non-punishable, I don't have a good answer to that. The woman (or man) whom cries wolf should indeed be held to task if said claim is made in bad faith.

Now before everyone jumps on me, this is just my opinion - and I am speaking in broad strokes.

Even more so - children are the 'ultimate' of innocence. Our society values that innocence to the extreme, and rightfully so. An act of violence is more tolerated if it occurs between adults then as to being impinged on the innocence of youth.

Last edited by wretchedotis; 07-17-2012 at 04:25 PM.
Old 07-17-2012, 04:33 PM

The problem is that society is NOT just, and the mere accusation through nothing but hearsay used as a tactic in family court has life long consequences. Even if you are able to prove your innocence (the opposite of what our system is supposed to do), you can't undo the damage.

Believe me, I am not the same person I was a year ago after going through it. Being a great dad for now also means being able to legally defend my every action and choices, and it's sad that I have to live like this.

Being reunited with the children helped a lot, but I still struggle with the anxiety and depression fairly often.

That's the personal cost. There's more.

Certain career options, jobs that I used to do and loved, are closed to me now. My security clearance for my current job was put at risk though I managed to hang onto it. I was bypassed for promotions at work for a year while I struggled with it.

I had to pay lawyers and experts which put my already perilous financial future at risk considering the divorce had already cleaned me out.

And yeah, the people who made the accusations? They're doing just great.

Last edited by winterwolf7; 07-17-2012 at 04:55 PM.
Old 07-17-2012, 04:43 PM

FamilyBlah is on a distinguished road

I am currently the target of a witch hunt and have been since April 2009. False allegations of spousal abuse and child abuse have been made against me. Affidavits and briefs have been filled with unsubstantiated accusations and the actual issues in dispute have largely been ignored. It's difficult to know how to respond because while there is no evidence to support the claims it's almost impossible to refute them beyond a reasonable doubt.
Old 07-17-2012, 04:52 PM

I'm sorry you're going through something similar FamilyBlah.

I wished through most of my ordeal that I would finally get a day in court somewhere, anywhere, to be able to view, present and discuss actual evidence to disprove the allegations. I never had that chance... CAS takes kids without any evidence, the police will lie blatantly and continuously to you without any regard for the truth or justice, and no one has any interest in justice except for the victim of the false accusations. For everyone else in the family destruction industry it's their bread and butter.

You need to dispute each point against you with as much as evidence as possible. Emotional reasoning and false allegations seem (to me) to be much easier to deal with in a court room than from the back room of a police station because evidence actually matters.
Old 07-17-2012, 05:26 PM

wretchedotis is on a distinguished road

I can sympathize. I've been accused of sexually assaulting my son twice. Both times investigated by CAS and police - to which they concluded the accusations were unfounded.

I am currently scheduled for trial in criminal court for the second accusation of phyical viloence/threats to my ex. The first time costing me thousands in legal fees to defend, taking away valuable resources from me that could have otherwise been made available to my son. This time around after recently faced said previous criminal and even more recent family court proceedings - I lack the financial wherewithall to hire counsel to defend myself again.

All I can say is I am a man, and will hold my head high knowing I've never committed those acts. She can 'use the system' all she wants. Karma is a bitch and her malice will be returned upon her one day.

Until that day, I am content in the knowledge that I take the higher ground and will not seccumb to such petty tactics.

You can't control what others do - you can only control your own actions.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:14 PM

Tayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by winterwolf7 View Post
Interesting analysis, and yes I was the victim of a witch hunt with all the properties described therein.

Honestly, I do not know to this day what awful registries and lists my name was added to, despite there being no charges and no evidence of any kind. On the contrary, I faced the burden of "guilty until proven innocent" which took an enormous amount of time and resources (money) to convince authorities that there was no abuse at home.
Better identified as a "distortion campaign" and often comes with high-conflict situations and people.

BPD Distortion Campaigns | angiEmedia