Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Domestic Violence

Domestic Violence Dealing with abuse and violence. Getting support and help.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2012, 12:58 PM

Tayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by arabian View Post
I didn't know psychologists could prescribe medication. While I know psychologists all study the same theories I didn't know they all were of the freudian persuasion when they graduated and opened their own practicies.
You are correct. I reversed Psychologist with Psychiatrist. My apologies. Read the above statements with the term "Psychiatrist" and not "Psychologists". My mistake.
Old 08-20-2012, 01:05 PM

Tayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by arabian View Post
I have noticed some people refer to the DSM frequently. This is one of many diagnostic tool used by the medical profession and not intended for the general public. In fact it is reckless to pick up the book and try to figure out where someone fits in the scale of psychological disorders. Undergraduates at universities are warned regularly not to try to "diagnose" themselves or friends using this manual.
In fact, there is a significant gap in the medical system within Canada when it comes to mental health and well being. The vast majority of family doctors are not familiar with the standard mental health conditions and as a result thousands of Canadians are not getting the proper care they deserve.

This gap exists significantly in the area of understanding around Axis II disorders of the personality even with mental health professionals. The mental health system in Canada needs significant improvement.

For some reason there is a gap in health care delivery between conditions like heart failure and other health conditions observed in the field of mental health. This gap further extends unfortunately into Family Law and only creates more health care concerns for citizens in my opinion.

Excellent article that outlines the differences that these two areas of mental health have:

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/...t-introduction

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/...roject-summary

Interesting observation by the author of the above of a Psychiatrist:

Quote:
Is the Seven Questions project working? Are we illustrating differences between clinicians and their theories? So far so good. Dr. Stotland's references to avoidance, psychic pain and insight distinguish her responses substantially from the CBT concepts mentioned in Donald Meichenbaum's answers last week. But a founder of CBT vs. a solid psychodynamic therapist is a fairly simple comparison. What happens when the distinctions aren't so clear cut? We've only just begun this series; tune in each Wednesday and judge for yourself.
http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/...-nada-stotland

Last edited by Tayken; 08-20-2012 at 01:18 PM.
Old 08-20-2012, 01:44 PM

Rioe will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayken View Post
Excellent article that outlines the differences that these two areas of mental health have:

The Seven Questions Project: Introduction | Psychology Today

The Seven Questions Project: Summary | Psychology Today

Interesting observation by the author of the above of a Psychiatrist:

Seven Questions for Nada Stotland | Psychology Today
Wow, thanks for taking up my whole lunch hour with interesting reading!

I noted this particularly relevant observation from Thomas Szasz in one of those interviews:

Quote:
Becoming a psychotherapy client or patient is like becoming married: it may be a trap which it is much harder to escape than to avoid.
Look at me getting all back on topic and everything!
Old 08-20-2012, 01:57 PM

FYI: The major gap I see in psychodynamic theory (Psychodynamics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) and CBT is that psychodynamic therapy relies heavily on "memories"... which are flawed (see original post to this thread) and are completely subjective to how the memory is described the the subject.

When a practitioner of psychodynamic theory doesn't get an answer they like they automatically default and transfer (known as transference) the failure of their theories on the subject and label them as "avoidant" because they are not hearing what they want to hear and are unable to assist in the care of their patient.

Quote:
Hence, the basic psychodynamic model focuses on the dynamic interactions between the id, ego, and superego.[11] Psychodynamics, subsequently, attempts to explain or interpret behavior or mental states in terms of innate emotional forces or processes.
Psychodynamics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Psychodynamic psychotherapy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Suffice to say, if you want to sit on a couch and have someone influence/induce false memories of your childhood and then tell you are mentally ill by all means you are free to do so. But, if you are looking to resolve problems, techniques that don't require months of clinical intervention and trying to explain to a "doctor" why you had a good child hood and your current issues are related to current problems (for example your family law dispute) Psychiatrists are probably not the best choice in my opinion.

Unless you want to be told you are "avoidant" for telling the truth and not relying upon past "memories" (which can be false) and eventually that requires constant contact with a clinician.