Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Domestic Violence

Domestic Violence Dealing with abuse and violence. Getting support and help.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2012, 02:57 PM

AwayDad is on a distinguished road
Default time limitations on charges?

Hi,

I feel like a weak food for even bringing this up but before my separation I was subject to almost daily verbal abuse (in front of the children - too young to say though) as well as physical sometimes.

Being a guy I'd just rather forget this happened at all and move on. However, things may be getting nasty and I do have in writing that she admitted to punching me in the eye three times (black eye) two years ago. I never filed any charges of course but is this an option now if things went terribly bad with the divorce?

I do have some concerns that she will now focus her anger on the kids but not enough to be overly worried.
Old 06-05-2012, 05:13 PM

standing on the sidelines is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwayDad View Post
Hi,

I feel like a weak food for even bringing this up but before my separation I was subject to almost daily verbal abuse (in front of the children - too young to say though) as well as physical sometimes.

Being a guy I'd just rather forget this happened at all and move on. However, things may be getting nasty and I do have in writing that she admitted to punching me in the eye three times (black eye) two years ago. I never filed any charges of course but is this an option now if things went terribly bad with the divorce?

I do have some concerns that she will now focus her anger on the kids but not enough to be overly worried.
if you would have done something about it two years ago it would have been better. Was there a police report filed?
Has she ever focused her anger on the kids before??? Just because she did to you doesnt mean she will to the kids.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:15 PM

Tayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant future

Quote:
Hi,

1. Psychological abuse as you are alleging is very difficult to bring forward criminally.

2. The physical abuse would need supporting documentation from a clinician for it to be even considered.

3. You are now living separate and apart and the abuse should end of this abuse should be all but gone.

4. CAS, courts and law enforcement don't make decisions / lay charges / take children away for something that "could" happen or your "fears" and/or "anxieties" about the other parent. They rely on cogent and relevant evidence. Predictions of future conduct are not what drives the criminal system or the family law system (or CAS for that matter).

5. You are better off talking to a clinical psychiatrist / psychologist about your issues and sorting out your emotional challenges with a therapist and not through law enforcement and the courts.

Good Luck!
Tayken
Old 07-29-2012, 02:44 PM

sahibjee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Hi,

if you have in writing from her that she caused you a black eye then thats "causing bodily harm" and an indictable offense, a clinicians record good to have but since she has admitted it herself in writing it may not even be required. go charge her.
Old 07-29-2012, 03:40 PM

standing on the sidelines is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahibjee View Post
if you have in writing from her that she caused you a black eye then thats "causing bodily harm" and an indictable offense, a clinicians record good to have but since she has admitted it herself in writing it may not even be required. go charge her.
condsidering it was years ago the first question he will be asked is why he didnt report it then?? It just looks like a tit for tat move now.