Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Domestic Violence

Domestic Violence Dealing with abuse and violence. Getting support and help.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2014, 02:02 PM

Tayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Links17 View Post
I wasn't claiming the paper would stand up alone in trial but IF the writer was present and cross-examined it might (I wouldn't present this in court anyways)
What I am arguing is that the paper wouldn't even meet the first test of expert evidence and never even see the light of day. Even if you could call the "expert" as a witness to cross examine. You don't get to call any witness you want to the stand FYI.

Quote:
Don't agree with other points, neither of the 2 links seemed applicable (I look at them)
They matter as you are presenting opinion evidence as a "fact". People are doing exactly what a justice will do. I am just providing you the information you may require to fully understand why...

If you don't understand this... You are going to really struggle in a court room.

Have you filed your Appeal already?

Good Luck!
Tayken
Old 03-20-2014, 02:15 PM

DowntroddenDad will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Finally a discussion the facts.

I am not even denying the bio-dad abuse risks, the paper talks about it.
All I AM saying is there IS A SIGNIFICANT increase in risk and a SIGNIFICANT amount of girls seem to be getting sexually abused. The step-father vs bio father seems to be 4 times (mentionned somewhere else in the study) but a sole custody father situation invites major risks too... thats why my first comment was HOW BLEAK.

I wasn't claiming the paper would stand up alone in trial but IF the writer was present and cross-examined it might (I wouldn't present this in court anyways)

Don't agree with other points, neither of the 2 links seemed applicable (I look at them)

It is "creepy" - I agree - its too stigmatized to discuss and it would reflect badly probably on me.
Even if I accept that paper, and I don't as I don't see statistical analysis, the one sentance that I bolded states that the risk is equal. That blows away your entire argument.

And Tayken is correct, any defense lawyer would find that and use it in court.
Old 03-20-2014, 02:36 PM
Hand of Justice

Links17 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayken View Post
What I am arguing is that the paper wouldn't even meet the first test of expert evidence and never even see the light of day. Even if you could call the "expert" as a witness to cross examine. You don't get to call any witness you want to the stand FYI.
This is purely academic, but can you be more specific. The writer is a lawyer who perhaps specializes in the topic - doesn't that meet the requirement for expert witness?

Quote:
They matter as you are presenting opinion evidence as a "fact". People are doing exactly what a justice will do. I am just providing you the information you may require to fully understand why...
Opinion Evidence is something (according to the wikipedia article) that regualr witnesses do - its almost mutually exclusive to an expert witness. Once an expert witness is accepted as such they in fact seem to be "allowed" to provide opinion evidence (all this is based on the wikipedia article you linked)

Quote:
If you don't understand this... You are going to really struggle in a court room.

Have you filed your Appeal already?
I'm very stupid apparently, I make less than minimum wage and I work full-time .

Appeal is filed/accepting and awaiting the hearing and of May if they don't postpone....

Good Luck!
Tayken
Old 03-20-2014, 02:38 PM
Hand of Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntroddenDad View Post
Even if I accept that paper, and I don't as I don't see statistical analysis, the one sentance that I bolded states that the risk is equal. That blows away your entire argument.

And Tayken is correct, any defense lawyer would find that and use it in court.
The paper is meta-study - it gathers MANY other studies together to produce a conclusion. Each of those papers individually do the statistical analysis (controls etc...)

Like I said, it seems the statistical evidence shows sole father custody does often result in sexual abuse as well (not at the the hands of the father though) but my refutation stands that step-fathers are 4x more likely.
Old 03-20-2014, 02:45 PM

Tayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant future

Quote:
This is purely academic, but can you be more specific. The writer is a lawyer who perhaps specializes in the topic - doesn't that meet the requirement for expert witness?
The papers I provide are for informational purposes to help you come up with your own answers. If you don't agree. You are free to. They are not evidence or "proof" to anything. Only a learning aid to assist you and others.

You have to come to your own conclusions on the information presented in the paper on that author's opinion on "opinion evidence". I share a similar viewpoint as the authors because I have seen first-hand a number of hearings where litigants attempt to present "papers" such as what you are doing to support their "arguments" and FAIL.

The paper that I provided is, in my opinion, representative of how justices will view the "evidence" you are presenting. You can take it or leave it.

Your choice on what you do with the information... You are free to disregard it if you would like.

Good Luck!
Tayken

Last edited by Tayken; 03-20-2014 at 02:49 PM.
Old 03-20-2014, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Like I said, it seems the statistical evidence shows sole father custody does often result in sexual abuse as well (not at the the hands of the father though) but my refutation stands that step-fathers are 4x more likely.
The real question Links17 is why you need to convince anyone on this forum of your belief as stated above? Why even bother trying to convince a bunch of idiots on a public message form that your "refutation stands" and that "step-fathers are 4x more likely" to be horrible people?

As well you stated you wouldn't make this argument in your own matter so what purpose does this whole debate serve you? Or anyone for that matter?

Good Luck!
Tayken
Old 03-20-2014, 03:54 PM

stripes is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The paper is meta-study - it gathers MANY other studies together to produce a conclusion. Each of those papers individually do the statistical analysis (controls etc...)
It's not a meta-analysis. A meta-analysis aggregates comparable data from similar studies and runs statistical tests, it doesn't summarize a pile of different studies with different populations, methods and hypotheses. If you want to know what meta-analysis means, look up "Cochrane review" for the gold standard.

I read through the original paper and found a lot of cherry-picking. The only robust result I could identify, without tracking down each and every one of the cited studies, was that there appears to be a correlation of unspecified strength between experiencing a parental separation or divorce and an increased lifetime risk of sexual abuse. Correlation is not causation, and both risk of sexual abuse and risk of parental divorce may be influenced by other unobserved variables.

I definitely wouldn't use this paper to "prove" anything.
Old 03-20-2014, 04:27 PM
Hand of Justice

The request still stands, find another meta-analysis/study that is in significant contradiction to this one.
Old 03-20-2014, 04:31 PM

DowntroddenDad will become famous soon enough

Quote:
The request still stands, find another meta-analysis/study that is in significant contradiction to this one.
Sorry, Poli Sci major here, we don't need to do that. You made the claim, you have to find one that isn't flawed. Tayken's points on Meta analysis are dead on.
Old 06-11-2014, 10:52 PM
Hand of Justice

This seemed relevant
One way to end violence against women? Married dads. - The Washington Post