Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Domestic Violence

Domestic Violence Dealing with abuse and violence. Getting support and help.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2009, 10:37 AM

Barry Allen is on a distinguished road

He is not able to contact her as per his conditions of bail. At this point, he has not yet made the offer to the Crown re: polygraph as he has decided (thankfully) to retain a lawyer...

Still...does anyone have any information regarding the value of polygraphs...we already know that the results are not admissable to court, but we understand that they are used by the police in many instances.
Old 10-21-2009, 11:07 PM

No feedback re: Polygraphs?

C'mon people...you are his only source of reasonable information
Old 10-21-2009, 11:13 PM

representingself is on a distinguished road

It's a waste of time and money if it is not admissable in court.
Old 12-31-2009, 10:48 PM

helplessDad is on a distinguished road

on a slightly off topic, and I don't want to get into too much detail on background, but we had a couple of police officers coming by due to domestic dispute. All I can say is, either they are totally biased against men (nothing new) or have no idea that women can also be violent. and my wife of course did the usual fake weeping and sobbing (obligatory for women?), and they automatically assume the husband is the abuser and claimed 99.9% of all the cases are caused by male aggressors, and they've never encountered ANY case where a wife is the aggressor. that's unheard of! of course I didn't argue with them. they had firearms.
Old 01-01-2010, 12:25 AM

strotter1006 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by representingself View Post
Your friends best bet is to try and reason with her and get her to recant her story.

Even if she recants her story he still will be charged it will be up to a judge. Once a domestic violence charge is laid it is very hard to make it disappear. I know I'm going though this right now. The best advice I can give is to get your friend a good lawyer.

Good Luck
Old 01-01-2010, 11:06 AM

dadtotheend will become famous soon enoughdadtotheend will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieT View Post
The police have a zero tolerance policy in effect regarding accusations of abuse.
Unless it's the guy getting hit, in which case it's open season.

Quote:
Have your friend get some background letters from possibly his doctor, or employer stating that they have known them for a while and that he is a reputable person.
That will probably be of no value as there are plenty of otherwise reputable people in the community that are violent behind closed doors.

Quote:
Have your freind enter a anger management course BEFORE his court date.
Funk dat. He's the victim, remember??
Old 01-01-2010, 03:13 PM

billiechic is on a distinguished road

taking an anger management course is basically admitting guilt in they eyes of the court. DO NOT TAKE ONE!! Victims do not need anger management, they need counselling.
Old 02-11-2010, 01:05 AM

I wanted to update those that replied. My friend insisted on a trial, since he was innocent. No lie detector test was ever used. His lawyer recieved letters from both his ex and her son stating that there was no hitting and none was ever seen. Basically, they recanted their video taped statement. The Crwon stood up and explained to the judge on the day of the scheduled trial that their case "suddenly and unexpectedly evaporated". There were no charges (as yet) brought by the Crown against his ex.

So, in effect, this man lost months of time with his child, was embarassed, arrested, finger printed and jailed. For nothing. And nothing is happening to his ex for her lies.

Justice?
Old 02-11-2010, 07:40 AM

standing on the sidelines is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Allen View Post
I wanted to update those that replied. My friend insisted on a trial, since he was innocent. No lie detector test was ever used. His lawyer recieved letters from both his ex and her son stating that there was no hitting and none was ever seen. Basically, they recanted their video taped statement. The Crwon stood up and explained to the judge on the day of the scheduled trial that their case "suddenly and unexpectedly evaporated". There were no charges (as yet) brought by the Crown against his ex.

So, in effect, this man lost months of time with his child, was embarassed, arrested, finger printed and jailed. For nothing. And nothing is happening to his ex for her lies.

Justice?
he could take her to small claims court and get his legal fees paid for by her and maybe some extra for the stuff that he went through with the fingerprinting etc.
Old 01-09-2012, 04:31 PM

sahibjee is on a distinguished road

I would like to know what happened, did he get his money back.... its a huge pain to go through and there should be a punishment for the liar.