Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Domestic Violence

Domestic Violence Dealing with abuse and violence. Getting support and help.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2006, 06:18 PM

diannarchy is on a distinguished road

The Blackstock/cages case was in my neck of the woods. Horrifying indeed. Well, both were. All of 'em are for that matter.

As recently as 3 years ago, the Durham CAS -- agency involved in the Blackstock case -- routinely told parents who were victims of spousal abuse that they could find the child in need of protection, and remove the child from the family should the mother be unable to prevent her children from witnessing the abuse. All domestic violence cases are reffered to the CAS when kids are in the house. Nice eh?? They'd take my kids away from me if I couldn't stop them from seeing their father hit me, but they allow convicted child abusers to be foster parents without a thought...

ARGH!!
Old 06-09-2006, 09:14 PM

logicalvelocity has a spectacular aura aboutlogicalvelocity has a spectacular aura aboutlogicalvelocity has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via Yahoo to logicalvelocity

I believe when the police are called to a domestic incident, and children are in the home, by default the police file a report with the local CAS of that jurisdiction.

The CAS will review (screen) the report and perhaps start a file and investigation. They may conduct interviews with the parties and or children and take it from there. If there is no need for child protection, they close the file.

lv
Old 06-26-2006, 12:02 AM

Tim is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by logicalvelocity
I believe when the police are called to a domestic incident, and children are in the home, by default the police file a report with the local CAS of that jurisdiction.
Yeah they have to as the children are quite obviously in direct danger or "in the line of fire" so to speak,
Old 09-01-2006, 09:45 AM

sunnybeachcal is on a distinguished road

That is just so horrible. I cannot believe there wasn't any investigation until now. I guess its similar to the ripple effect, from one generation to another. If the youngsters continue to be bought up this way, they might turn out the same way. Poor kids.
Old 09-13-2006, 12:35 AM

Paralegal_Speshell69 is on a distinguished road
Default second part of speach

On January 4, 2004, after many interviews, the police concluded that Misty Hanney mother of 2 year old Rebecca was not guilt of anything related to the disappearance and murder of her child. However, police did charge 24 year old Melissa Babineau with 2nd degree murder, and indignity of a body, as well police charged Babibaus mother 44 year old Vanessa Babinua of Beachville with accessory after the fact.
Police refused to expand on the charge of indignity to a dead body, telling Sun Media to look it up in the Criminal Code.
The definition of the charge is broad and ambiguous under the code, but sources said it could mean a variety of things, including improperly disposing of a body or not notifying authorities of the dead body.
The pair were charged and remanded in custody awaiting a bail hearing. On may 13,2004, the emotional bail hearing proceedings began; Babinau not only faces the two charges related to the death of the toddler but possession of a weapon, assault and failing to provide the necessities of life relating to Misty Haney, Rebecca’s mother.
The judge denied bail stating,” one of the main reasons for keeping Babineau in jail is the seriousness of the charges.
"The nature of the crime is so despicable that society needs it to be taken very seriously," said Judge J. Morrisette. *(Note Judge J Morrisette was the judge in the Westley Solomon case as well.)
"In order to maintain confidence in the administration of justice, I order her to be detained."
Some felt due to the nature of the crime this was also in the best interest of Babinau herself, she would be safer incarcerated in than out on the street.
For sometime it seemed that this case disappeared from the spot light of the media as Woodstock faced an other high profile murder cases but for those of us who this case was close to our hearts it never disappeared it just seemed to take forever to get to justice.
In February of 2006 the long awaited trial of Babinau began Crown attorney Brian Crockett was relentless as a stone faced Babinau pleading not guilty and defended her actions saying the death was an accident, Babibua claimed that Becca had died as a result of choking on her own vomit and that when Babinua found the lifeless body of the tot she panicked. Babinau stated”, "I wasn’t in the right state of mind. If I had been, I wouldn’t have done what I did."
Babineau told jurors she was always the one who knew what to do, but she didn’t know what to do when she found Rebbecca that night.
"It wasn’t something I could fix," she said. During earlier testimony, Babineau admitted to putting the child’s body in a plastic garbage bag and then into a box before taking the box to the basement.
After Crown Attorney Bryan Crockett accused Babineau of smothering Rebbecca, she told jurors: "God knows that I put her in the bag, in the box and put it in the basement."
"I did not smother her.” Throughout his cross-exam Mr. Crockett had been unrelenting. He hammered Babineau for answers about how Rebbecca was lying in the crib when Babineau found her.
Babineau tried answering his questions, even physically moving her body into the position she recalled seeing Rebbecca in.
Mr. Crockett was unsatisfied and pressed for more details.
"I don’t know, I can’t remember," Babineau said, tears welling in her eyes.
She quickly collected herself and firmly stood her ground throughout her testimony, openly admitting to lying to police about Rebbecca’s whereabouts on Dec. 24.

"I am telling the truth now," she said. The trial Continued and on February 24th 2006 a jury of Babinaus peers found her guilty of second-degree murder in the death of toddler Rebecca Haney.

The verdict was delivered Friday afternoon in Woodstock. The jury also found Babineau, 27, guilty of committing an indignity to a human body. Jurors recommended the Embro-area woman serve 25 years before she's eligible for parole.

On April 25th the Woodstock area woman was sentenced and although the recommendation was 25 years with out parole the judge sentenced her to 25 years with eligibility for parole after 15.

Melissa Babineau, 27, was also sentenced to serve 18 months concurrently for causing an indignity to a body by hiding two-year-old Rebbecca Haney's body in a garbage bag and box found in the basement of an Embro-area farmhouse.

In sentencing, Justice Thomas Heeney said; Babineau's sole motivation was looking out for No. 1.

"She acted coldly, ruthlessly to mislead authorities to save her own skin, even casting suspicion on (Misty) Haney," stated Judge Heeney in A Woodstock Ontario Court House.

In court, an unshaken Babineau opened a crinkled piece of paper in her cuffed hands and spoke to the court.

"I am extremely sorry for my actions following the death of Rebbecca," she said.

Apologizing for her web of lies she told, but took no responsibility for the girl's death on Dec. 24, 2003.

"I did not at any time cause any harm to Rebbecca."

Misty Haney the girl's mother -- yelled profanity at Babineau before dropping her head, sobbing -- said later she would have preferred a heavier sentence.

"I would have liked the max," she said. "(But) at least it's 15 years I won't have to worry about her."

But she added, "My daughter is still gone."

The maximum penalty for murder is 25 years without parole and as much as five years for committing an indignity to a human body.
Becca’s life is over and her memory will remain in all those who knew and loved her, and through her death this sentence received by Babinau, I hope will serve as a deterrent for those who may be capable of committing such a crime. This speech was not easy for me to write, read nor sleep while preparing it, However Kathy Rebecca’s grandmother is my friend, and I felt it was important to draw attention to the amount of infant deaths that are taking place right here in our geographical area. Some of you mentioned that when you finish you wish to have careers with CAS In the cases I have researched in the death of children at the hands of a parent, step parent or partner I found that in most cases CAS has been involved. Both the under funding and staff cuts have forced the hands of this agency, It is my hope in the future that the Government will take a closer look at the persons who’s job it is to protect and speak as the voice of the children who can not be a voice for themselves will help to save and protect a life. Child abuse is a growing concern and the amount of lives lost is increasing; we need stricter penalties and more available agents. The laws need to be tougher, the funding needs to be available and the sentences need to be tougher we should not except “I was Depressed” or Not in my right frame of mind as an excuse to murder a child” or it was an accident you know when you hold your hand over the mouth of a screaming baby the results could be just that of little Donny Clubb.

In closing I have handed you each a poem that I found when researching these deaths it is called Sarah’s story; I ask that you read this when you are alone and have a box of Kleenex as I was unable to read this to you…. Thank you

Please put the speach together and where you feel it will not be lost I am not very good at attaching the speach and could not get it too load together. Thank you Shellie
Old 02-11-2014, 03:31 PM

health is on a distinguished road

sad story. hope allegations of abuse will be investigated extensively when they are brought forward!!
Old 02-11-2014, 03:42 PM

dinkyface will become famous soon enough

What is sad is that the original poster of this thread took his own life - I'm guessing partly due to the stresses of family law disputes.
Old 02-11-2014, 05:23 PM

blinkandimgone has a spectacular aura aboutblinkandimgone has a spectacular aura aboutblinkandimgone has a spectacular aura about

Thanks DF.

Health, in the future, please refrain from bumping old threads, especially for a simple commentary rather than an addition of valuable information.
Old 02-11-2014, 11:21 PM
Hand of Justice

Links17 is on a distinguished road

necroposting
Closed Thread