Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Domestic Violence

Domestic Violence Dealing with abuse and violence. Getting support and help.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2006, 02:07 PM

logicalvelocity has a spectacular aura aboutlogicalvelocity has a spectacular aura aboutlogicalvelocity has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via Yahoo to logicalvelocity
Default omg this is a horrid story

I just came across this,

this is horrible

http://sympaticomsn.ctv.ca/servlet/A...entence_060611

"But the couple will be eligible to apply to have their sentences lowered after just 15 years."

This isn't justice. this youngster had its whole life ahead.

"After last month's verdict, Ontario's chief coroner announced an inquest will be held, which will look into how the system failed to protect Jeffrey and the involvement of the CCAS."

"It is alleged the CCAS did not do a background check on the grandparents prior to the placement. Each of them has previous child abuse convictions."

if this is so, its time for this agency to wake up.
Old 06-09-2006, 02:54 PM
Administrator

Jeff has much to be proud ofJeff has much to be proud ofJeff has much to be proud ofJeff has much to be proud ofJeff has much to be proud ofJeff has much to be proud ofJeff has much to be proud ofJeff has much to be proud of

Wow!! The kid never stood a chance. Abusive parents, abusive grandparents... I hope someone is looking out for his sister, but she'll probably just get lost in the system again.
Old 06-09-2006, 03:02 PM

Paralegal_Speshell69 is on a distinguished road
Default It is only one case of many

I am a paralegal student I am 37 years old and was a victim of domestic violence for a period of around 8 years. I had a very abusive spouse and so I have followed both child abuse cases and cases of spousal abuse and death I wrote two important speeches on these topics. One was limited in time to 5 minutes so it could only touch briefly on the topic the other was 20 minutes and you would be shocked to hear the amount of infant deaths in Ontario at the hand of a loved one and that of a "wife". In London Ontario this month alone two women ages 33 and 29 died at the hands of their partners, the thirty three year old women burned to death in her bedroom in the house her partner started on fire, and the 29 year old women died from stab wounds by an x partner who was ordered by the court to stay away from her. Also in that same week a 12 year old and a 15 year old died along side their father in an automobile accident which the police ruled a " double murder," "Suicide" honestly if the sick man chose to take his own life thats one thing but he had appeared in court earlier that month for uttering death threats to his wife the mother of the children, every one said he was a good dad but he carried out his threats. These cases are growing and increasing and as they grow and increase I fee that people should petition the courts for tougher sentencing. I have attached a copy of my speech if any one is interested in reading it I can only attach part 1 as that is the allowable amount, however if any one is interested in the rest I will attached it to another post titled part two.

I took this paralegal course not because I wanted to be a "wanna be lawyer" but so that I could gain some personal knowlege on the laws and hopefully one day make a difference where laws related to child abuse and domestic violence are concerned. Thanks for reading Shell
Attached Files
File Type: doc 20 min speech part 1.doc (36.5 KB, 24 views)
Old 06-09-2006, 03:14 PM

logicalvelocity has a spectacular aura aboutlogicalvelocity has a spectacular aura aboutlogicalvelocity has a spectacular aura about

PS69,

Its a good speech

lv
Old 06-09-2006, 03:26 PM

Divorcemanagement has a spectacular aura aboutDivorcemanagement has a spectacular aura about

There are HUGE problems with child protection agencies and is it just me or does it seem that they take protecting children from intact marriages more seriously than in cases where the parents are getting divorced? Here in Calgary if you call Children's Services one of the questions they ask right up front is "are you in the middle of divorce proceedings"... ARGH!!
Old 06-09-2006, 04:09 PM

Sean,

I would think the reason for that being is typical of most government agencies, they are short staffed and overloaded. They have insufficient resources to fully investigate every complaint and it may be somewhat of a screening process.

lv
Old 06-09-2006, 04:37 PM

Lindsay has a spectacular aura aboutLindsay has a spectacular aura aboutLindsay has a spectacular aura about

That's true LV, but that makes you wonder how many cases of abuse are overlooked due to the automatic assumption that a party going through a separation or divorce is making their complaint out of spite.
Old 06-09-2006, 04:54 PM

Grace has a spectacular aura aboutGrace has a spectacular aura about

Shell,

That was an excellent speech, thank you for sharing it.

Here's another horrific story:

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNew..._44?hub=Canada

Lindsay,

How true, if you are going through a separation/divorce too often abuse is swept under the carpet and not taken seriously. You get into the whole "false allegation" issues. Who wants to admit they are an abuser, easier to hide behind the "ex made it up to gain in the upper hand in court".
Old 06-09-2006, 05:18 PM

Lindsay,

I agree. these agencies need more resources, whether its people and funding to investigate completely.

Grace,

That is horrible. The ironic thing is the leniant sentence the people received in my eyes. Those boys spent a good portion of their life in a cage and in diapers.

lv
Old 06-09-2006, 05:24 PM
Administrator

Jeff has much to be proud ofJeff has much to be proud ofJeff has much to be proud ofJeff has much to be proud ofJeff has much to be proud ofJeff has much to be proud ofJeff has much to be proud ofJeff has much to be proud of

Paralegal_Speshell69, that's a fabulous speech. Please do upload the rest.

If you want, I can put this on a separate part of the site as well, with proper attribution to you, as otherwise it will get buried over time and an attachment isn't going to show up when someone uses the search function.