Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Domestic Violence

Domestic Violence Dealing with abuse and violence. Getting support and help.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2011, 01:10 AM

broken_gal is on a distinguished road
Default Housing question

Hello,

I have left an abusive situation. We own a home together and now am living with a friend. Does anyone know if I would qualify for public / co-op housing given that I technically own a home with my spouse and have a job (but currenty on maternity leave until the end of the year). I really cannot afford to live on my own. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-16-2011, 09:29 AM

dorano is on a distinguished road

My recommendation to you would be to contact local resources (community centres, or even shelters for abused women, even if you don't stay there, they have great resources). Are you in Ottawa?
Old 07-16-2011, 10:45 AM

Mess is a jewel in the roughMess is a jewel in the roughMess is a jewel in the roughMess is a jewel in the rough

Co-op housing has nothing to do with subsidies, ownership of other houses etc. It is not public housing, it is self-owned non-profit, meaning they charge just as much as it takes to maintain the buildings. There are no restrictions on who may live there. You would pay "market rent" but it would probably be much much less that a private apartment.

Public housing will be based on income, they don't look at assets, but there is generally a multi-year waiting list, depending on where you live.
Old 07-17-2011, 06:33 PM

momof6 is on a distinguished road

I suggest you go to see FLIC at your local court house. I think a judge can order exclusive possession of matrimonial home: ask if this would make a difference and if it is worth pursuing (do this after contacting community resources to see if home ownership is even an impediment).

Just a thought. Usually women's shelters have counsellors on staff and are experienced in these matters.

If you have left an abusive situation, it would be good for you to access all the options available to you. Good Luck!
Old 07-17-2011, 08:14 PM

karmaseeker is on a distinguished road

Where do you live?

Maybe this forum can set up a community classifieds. We can barely afford our mortgage after judge gave his ex half his pay. You could come rent our basement.

Last edited by karmaseeker; 07-17-2011 at 08:20 PM.
Old 07-19-2011, 05:31 PM

sjandme is an unknown quantity at this point

If you are in Ottawa get in touch with the Violence Against Women program. Don't hesitate. If you have children you might be short listed for subsidized housing.