Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Domestic Violence

Domestic Violence Dealing with abuse and violence. Getting support and help.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2012, 10:57 PM

NDuclos is on a distinguished road
Default Harrasment on 3rd parties

Dear All

I have a couple of question about abuse. After separation from my partner, I started dating again. The girl I'm currently seeing is receiving harassing calls. In less then 6 weeks, 36 calls. Also when I confronted her (the x) about it, the x spouse called my gf just to show she could. The voice on the call is not hers, its a voice my gf doesn't recognize. However a friend has told me that on occasion when calls have occurred, its her and her daughter (who is 21) in a car at their work. All calls are 1 hour before her work, 1 hour after and conform to her break scheduled. The police have been tied because there is so much they can do.

My first question(s) is this, is there any thing I can do to stop the calls and harassment in family court. Any way to bring that into the family court arena? What option do I have of getting records so I can help my gf in her complaint? and does this classify as spousal abuse?
Old 06-14-2012, 12:02 AM

Mess is a jewel in the roughMess is a jewel in the roughMess is a jewel in the roughMess is a jewel in the rough

How to use Call Trace
  • Hang up after receiving the threatening or harassing call.
  • Lift the receiver and dial *57 (or 1157 on rotary phones).
  • Wait for a recording to tell you whether the call was traced successfully and hang up.
Tips:
  • Call Trace service works only on the last incoming call.
  • Call Trace service works on blocked calls.
  • The number of the traced caller will be released to the police by Bell if they request it.
There is a charge of $5.00 for each successful use of Call Trace up to a maximum of $10.00 per month per line. The charge applies whether or not the traced number is requested by the police. Using Call Trace does not guarantee that the police will accept your case or follow up on a Call Trace request.
Old 06-14-2012, 12:20 AM

NDuclos is on a distinguished road

Dear Mess

Thank you for the quick response. We tried call trace, it doesn't work (sort of). The number is a long distance call carrier. They have a long distance calling card, they call it, then use that number to call my GF. Its always the same three numbers. This is why the police are having a hard time moving forward on the case.
Old 06-14-2012, 12:46 AM

Mess is a jewel in the roughMess is a jewel in the roughMess is a jewel in the roughMess is a jewel in the rough

You can't bring any action in court unless you have factual proof.

If it were me, I would change my number and get two new phones. I would give one number to the ex and say it was my new phone. No one else would have that number.

It doesn't quite prove that it is the ex calling and harassing, but it would make for a good sworn affidavit.
Old 06-14-2012, 06:37 AM

standing on the sidelines is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDuclos View Post
Dear All

I have a couple of question about abuse. After separation from my partner, I started dating again. The girl I'm currently seeing is receiving harassing calls. In less then 6 weeks, 36 calls. Also when I confronted her (the x) about it, the x spouse called my gf just to show she could. The voice on the call is not hers, its a voice my gf doesn't recognize. However a friend has told me that on occasion when calls have occurred, its her and her daughter (who is 21) in a car at their work. All calls are 1 hour before her work, 1 hour after and conform to her break scheduled. The police have been tied because there is so much they can do.

My first question(s) is this, is there any thing I can do to stop the calls and harassment in family court. Any way to bring that into the family court arena? What option do I have of getting records so I can help my gf in her complaint? and does this classify as spousal abuse?
why would you even think it would classify as spousal abuse???? Talk about reaching. It is harrassment between your gf and whoever is doing the calls. Not sure how your gf handles it but hanging up is a good start. Whoever is playing the game will get sick of it when they do not get the response they want. Not sure of what was said in the calls but to say it has to be ex and daughter because the calls come one hour before and after work is not proof, unless they are the only people in the world who have those exact working hours. Yes a friend can say that they are doing it but unless they are in the car listening to the conversation they cant be certain of who they are calling.
Old 06-14-2012, 10:26 AM

cbarker78 is on a distinguished road

off the wall question - but why or how would the ex even have the gf's number?!?! I'm just thinking in terms of my own situation... there is no way in hell I'd give the stbx my boyfriend's cell phone... if he, or the kids, need to reach me they can call my phone.....

best wishes!!
Old 06-14-2012, 10:37 AM

billiechic is on a distinguished road

Get call display. The next time the harrassing phone calls come, save the number. Keep track of every time that number calls you, and then DON'T ANSWER!

If it continues, you can ask the court for disclosure of your ex's phone records. It *might* show that she is calling the number that shows up on your phone, but it might not. It could show that the calls your gf is receiving coincide with the calls she is making.

Worth a shot. Court may not give you disclosure, but at least you are doing something. Other than that, you can ask for an order that your ex and have no contact whatsoever. The other thing to look into is a Peace Bond.
Old 06-14-2012, 11:33 AM

blinkandimgone has a spectacular aura aboutblinkandimgone has a spectacular aura aboutblinkandimgone has a spectacular aura about

It's easy to block a number from a cell phone so they can't harass her that way anymore. That being said, if they are determined, blocking their numbers won't stop them. They will just find another way to harass her.
Old 06-14-2012, 01:27 PM

Pursuinghappiness will become famous soon enough

Buy her one of these:

Amazon.com: Pyle-Pro PMP30 Professional Megaphone/Bullhorn with Siren: Sports & Outdoors

Frankly, I'd just use call block. Its going to be a whole hell of a lot of work to trace these calls and its a far stretch that they're going to do anything about it in court.

Its just high school nonsense. Either block the calls or simply ignore them. She'll get tired of doing it soon enough. If that's all she's doing to harrass her...its no big deal....I've heard a lot worse.
Old 06-16-2012, 12:10 AM

hadenough is on a distinguished road

To my knowledge, and I've checked with (at least) my service provider, you can't block any numbers from calling your cell phone - only a Land Line. But as someone pointed out: the "caller" will just call from a different phone. The idea of having 2 separate cell phones - while a slight p.i.t.a is a good one if only the ex is given the one # and not the other.

Basically, if you don't respond or engage, the person calling will get tired of it. Unless there is a threat made (ie: voicemail) no one is going to give a hoot - and getting cell phone records of the other party ordered by the court is a huge longshot. That's more for Criminal Court(s).

Tags
abuse, harrasment, new gf, phone calls