Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Domestic Violence

Domestic Violence Dealing with abuse and violence. Getting support and help.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2014, 01:59 PM

stripes is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janibel View Post
I don't mind answering questions like that, if it helps others to understand that there is such a thing as real domestic violence allegations.
We hear so much in here about false accusations - which happens all the time - the other side of the issue is just as real, unfortunately.
Sorry, I jumped the gun on that. I just hear so many people rushing to assume that domestic violence victims are exaggerating or putting the blame on them - "if you didn't end up in the hospital, how bad was it really?"- that I overreacted. Sorry again.
Old 04-02-2014, 02:26 PM

Janibel will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripes View Post
Sorry, I jumped the gun on that. I just hear so many people rushing to assume that domestic violence victims are exaggerating or putting the blame on them - "if you didn't end up in the hospital, how bad was it really?"- that I overreacted. Sorry again.
Don't be sorry Yep, I came across a lot of that even from people who knew us both - most victims are either ashamed or too afraid to tell even close relatives about what's going on. Maybe it's a natural reaction to unpleasant things - people would rather pretend it doesn't exist? Photos help a lot!

In cases of emotional abuse that's a different issue, he said/she said and the kids stuck in the middle of it all ... that kind of abuse is probably worse IMO.