Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Domestic Violence

Domestic Violence Dealing with abuse and violence. Getting support and help.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2011, 09:47 PM

beebie is on a distinguished road

I didn't read about any violence toward the child so whether you leave the relationship or not, he has a right to see his child provided he is not violent or abusive toward that child. Don't do what many mothers do and deprive the father of the right to see his child unless there are grounds for that such as threats, violence, harm aimed at child. He may need anger management, therapy or whatever but you should allow him the chance to improve as a husband and father. You may also want to think about how you two communicate and whether it is in healthy ways and try through counselling to improve your communication even if you do not restore your relationship.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:23 PM

Nadia is on a distinguished road

My ex was also abusive towards me. My children were also young. However, you need to think of your child first and foremost when caught up in a high conflict situation.

If your husband attempts to leave with the child, you should not try and prevent him physically. The child can get seriously hurt. It makes no sense for one parent to pull the child out of the arms of the other parent and even less for the second parent to pull the child back.

My ex used to do this when he was angry and when I did not do as he wanted. It was heart wrenching to see him take my daughter from my arms when I was feeding her. But I did the right thing by not trying to grab her back. Most likely she would have got hurt.

If you are in physical danger, then you need to take the appropriate steps to safeguard yourself first and foremost. Then worry about the rest.