Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

New posts


  Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Domestic Violence

Domestic Violence Dealing with abuse and violence. Getting support and help.

LinkBack Thread Tools
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 12-10-2011, 12:44 AM
Tayken's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 6,489
Tayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by hadenough View Post
Exactly. The F.O.I. - I think it took 2 weeks, had to be prepaid (about $15) - ie: $3 per page. It's proof of the occurrence but the info I rec'd was pretty edited, I thought.
Have a solicitor request it. You will get way more information from the report. I have seen a parent's request and their solicitor's request. It included 3 additional paragraphs chalked full of incredible stuff that the parent didn't get.

The FIO processing the request will see that an officer of the court (lawyer) is receiving the information and will expose way more generally.

Good Luck!
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 12-10-2011, 01:23 PM
wretchedotis's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: ON
Posts: 2,317
wretchedotis is on a distinguished road

As well, come trial you can subpeona the officers involved. Get them on the stand and then have the Justice direct them to answer your questions if they try to smooth over the details.

This might not be a wise strategy if you don`t know what they will say on the stand, however.
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 02-11-2012, 08:28 PM
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 85
lplp is on a distinguished road

My foi documents cost 5 dollars originally and i asked for the last year , it is very edited but i know the blacked out parts and if they ever come into play i will ask for the other parts .I also asked for the cas reports and the case worker couldnt understand why i would want them , i said i need them to put in my files and not to hurt her but to protect me and the kids, she couldnt understand and said well i havent had time to send the final letter yet(2 months now),i asked well can you please send it to me because we are going to be living apart and moving by end march ,she goes well i will try and do you think the new people will forward it to you if i dont, all i ever wanted from cas is to make a commitment on what they told me ,get it in writing, i have more of a problem with the case worker than what happened as i knew what to do anyways .
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 02-16-2012, 06:46 AM
NBDad's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New Brunswick
Posts: 2,734
NBDad is on a distinguished road

If you need the context of the police incident files in their entirety (un-edited) the only way to do so is to have them ordered via the court. You would need to provide reasoning as to why you believe them to be important.

Otherwise, any details that you are not directly involved in, are edited out due to privacy concerns.

.I also asked for the cas reports
If the file is open on YOU, you are able to request a copy of the file. There is a specific procedure that usually has to be followed. If you ask the worker, they should be able to tell you how to go about it.

If the file is open on your EX, you cannot obtain a copy without going through the same process as for an unedited police incident report. The EX can sign a document giving CAS more leeway in giving you info, however if it's suspected that the CAS files contain damaging information, what are the possibilities of that happening?
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 02-17-2012, 11:34 AM
Senior Member
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 373
Teddie is on a distinguished road

My ex and her live in boyfriend have had police involved in several incidents that I have heard of through the grapevine. The last incident involved her getting arrested for assaulting the boyfriend. I am not sure of what date the incident happened but it was in the last month and from what I heard she spent the day in jail but was not charged. I have reason to believe that my kids were with her when this happened and I want to find out for sure.

Because no charges were laid and I don't know the exact date, is there any hope for me to get this information without going through my lawyer?
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 02-18-2012, 12:24 AM
Senior Member
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Vaughan
Posts: 2,360
billiechic is on a distinguished road

you can request the information from the police through the FOI process. But I think it would really be best going through your lawyer. YOu will need to request information about your children though, since you will not be able to get any info back about your ex. And of course that only applies if you have custody or joint custody.

Otherwise you will have to request through court
Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Police undertaking overrides order for access? formyGirls Divorce & Family Law 8 05-23-2011 03:32 PM
Any experience admitting video statements? formyGirls Divorce & Family Law 10 02-11-2011 03:52 PM
Ex keeps filing false police reports and not following court order Mouse_117 Divorce & Family Law 3 09-12-2009 08:10 PM
Police Occurrence Reports and heresay evidence - Jurisprudence logicalvelocity Divorce & Family Law 0 10-29-2006 12:20 AM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:25 PM.