Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Domestic Violence

Domestic Violence Dealing with abuse and violence. Getting support and help.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2011, 07:30 PM

lorlaman is on a distinguished road
Default Copies of Police Reports

My ex was arrested twice last year for assault and breach of her peace bond. A third time when police were called after she had assaulted my daughter, but no arrest was made; just CAS intervention.

I want to get my hands on a copy of the police reports. How can I get them
Old 08-09-2011, 08:46 PM

standing on the sidelines is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorlaman View Post
My ex was arrested twice last year for assault and breach of her peace bond. A third time when police were called after she had assaulted my daughter, but no arrest was made; just CAS intervention.

contact the police and see what they say
Old 08-09-2011, 09:17 PM

wretchedotis is on a distinguished road

freedom of information act.

the reports you get will be censored unless the person in question consents to their name being released.

You can get unredacted reports through motion in family court if you can succesfully argue for them.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:59 PM

fireweb13 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to fireweb13

They will give you all info pertaining to your daughter or yourself if you have joint custody. They will black out everything that has info on your ex. You may try going to the court office and getting the reports from the criminal case, I think you can do that as court files are public. With the police you will just file a freedom of info act to get it. Done it plenty of times.
Old 08-10-2011, 02:04 PM

dadforlife is on a distinguished road

You will need the date(s) name(s) of people involved.Go to the Police station in the district the incident occured, give them the information above and request the case number. You then send your request including case number, names, dates and a $5 cheque to the freedom of information act office.
Old 12-08-2011, 06:48 PM

baldclub is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wretchedotis View Post
freedom of information act.

the reports you get will be censored unless the person in question consents to their name being released.

You can get unredacted reports through motion in family court if you can succesfully argue for them.
In my case, the police officer wanted me to obtain the information so I could understand what happened when my ex took my kids out of school when they were supposed to be on the bus to stay with me. He was surprised I had to make a request through the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.

Anyway, I applied using the procedure outlined Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, R.S.O. 1990, c. F.31
What I received was basically blacked out (whited out would be more correct), and although I know my ex had lied to the police, I barely see any results of the investigation. What? I read the damn thing about 7 times and I'm still not sure why the can't disclose the information.

Although not as serious as lorlaman's, I believe I deserve to know what happened and I will probably appeal within the thirty day period, but first I need to seek out some advice.
Old 12-08-2011, 06:59 PM

baldclub is on a distinguished road

Just read this post here from pokeman putting it all in perspective:

http://www.ottawadivorce.com/forum/f...om-info-10663/
Old 12-08-2011, 08:09 PM

FaithandMorals is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldclub View Post
In my case, the police officer wanted me to obtain the information so I could understand what happened when my ex took my kids out of school when they were supposed to be on the bus to stay with me. He was surprised I had to make a request through the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.

Anyway, I applied using the procedure outlined Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, R.S.O. 1990, c. F.31
What I received was basically blacked out (whited out would be more correct), and although I know my ex had lied to the police, I barely see any results of the investigation. What? I read the damn thing about 7 times and I'm still not sure why the can't disclose the information.

Although not as serious as lorlaman's, I believe I deserve to know what happened and I will probably appeal within the thirty day period, but first I need to seek out some advice.

Under the FOI you can also ask to have (whited out) copies of the Polic Officers not books. At least in Ontario.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-08-2011, 08:54 PM

Tayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorlaman View Post

You can get a solicitor to get them for you. You will get more information from the report they will give to a solicitor generally. If you make the request anything that may cause conflict they will take out. But, if a solicitor asks for it they generally get more information.

Good Luck!
Tayken
Old 12-09-2011, 07:51 PM

hadenough is on a distinguished road

Exactly. The F.O.I. - I think it took 2 weeks, had to be prepaid (about $15) - ie: $3 per page. It's proof of the occurrence but the info I rec'd was pretty edited, I thought.