Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Domestic Violence

Domestic Violence Dealing with abuse and violence. Getting support and help.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2014, 03:27 PM

vocircuspants is on a distinguished road

how about a video recording of a parent pushing her son down a small flight of stairs 1.5 years ago? or text threats to hurt "herself or someone else in the house" (as in kids) while you're out of the house? or son witnessing mother hitting her husband repeatedly? Would a judge care or is the system still so biased?
Old 03-11-2014, 03:59 PM

arabian will become famous soon enough

^my personal opinion on this is that if an adult were knowledgeable about abuse to a child and failed to call the police then that adult should be charged.

Waiting for 1.5 yrs to protect a child is abhorrent in my opinion - just as guilty as the perpetrator.

Sicko
Old 03-11-2014, 04:25 PM

That person did go to the police eventually about it. He was turned away and told that his young son would have to file charges. Fortunately the child wasn't hurt. Still, I'm sure that person regrets not going sooner. I'm sure he had to struggle with the choice and decided against it hoping that it was a singular incident. I think that person lived through a lot of anger and only recently came to realize he was living in a state of fear.
Old 03-11-2014, 04:30 PM
Hand of Justice

Links17 is on a distinguished road

-the video recording of an intentional push of a child down a flight of stairs would be taken seriously in my opinion
-also the threats to hurt herself or somebody else.

Its worth bringing up to at least hear the stupid excuse the judge give if he/she ignores it, just to confirm that there is a bias....

But yeah, you'll have to answer why you didn't do anything - but if you check women abuse strategies there are plenty of explanations while they don't come out and run away from abusers right away.
Old 03-11-2014, 04:32 PM

stripes is on a distinguished road

Arabian, my thoughts exactly. Who on earth films stuff like that but does nothing else about it?
Old 03-11-2014, 05:14 PM

standing on the sidelines is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by arabian View Post
^my personal opinion on this is that if an adult were knowledgeable about abuse to a child and failed to call the police then that adult should be charged.

Waiting for 1.5 yrs to protect a child is abhorrent in my opinion - just as guilty as the perpetrator.

Sicko
and whoever videotaped the son being pushed down the stairs. If it was the father who was taping then WTF was he thinking??
Old 03-11-2014, 05:24 PM
Hand of Justice

Links17 is on a distinguished road

In case of domestic abuse, some times the perpetrators get away with it because the abused spouse is too scared to do anything.
Old 03-11-2014, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Links17 View Post
In case of domestic abuse, some times the perpetrators get away with it because the abused spouse is too scared to do anything.
that is true in real cases of abuse. Filming someone pushing a child down a set of stairs is something different.
Old 03-11-2014, 05:56 PM

i believe that person wasn't at allexpecting that to happen and rushed to the boy's aid as soon as it happened. i think he was filming to show the mother what her temper problems are like in order for her to get help.
Old 03-11-2014, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vocircuspants View Post
i believe that person wasn't at allexpecting that to happen and rushed to the boy's aid as soon as it happened. i think he was filming to show the mother what her temper problems are like in order for her to get help.
a person living in a "state of fear" like you suggest from an abusive partner will not do things like video tape them to show that she has anger issues. A person being abused will do anything so the abuser doesn't get mad.

The person in this instance didn't protect the child and that doesn't make him a hero. Why videotape when the child is right there? How old is the child? Most parents would do anything to protect their child from abuse or witnessing stuff like that.