Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Domestic Violence

Domestic Violence Dealing with abuse and violence. Getting support and help.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2012, 05:08 PM

baldclub is on a distinguished road
Default Assault: are things always as they seem?

I brought this up in another thread but I would like to stoke some conversation here on the issue of how we see things, men, women, people in positions of authority. I saw this on ABC News.

Reaction To Women Abusing Men In Public - YouTube

What do you think?
Old 12-28-2012, 06:27 PM

SadAndTired is on a distinguished road

Many people, even the cop, seemed to think that the woman's anger was not that dangerous. I wonder if the actor man had shown more emotion (fear, sadness) or made an attempt to leave if people would have jumped in more.

It seems as though the woman was not deemed dangerous and therefore the man was not identified as being in danger. Interesting.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:19 PM

Berner_Faith will become famous soon enough

It is sad about the double standard. If roles were reversed and there was even minor abuse, I bet there would be a totally different reaction.

One of my cousins friends that is like a brother to me, was dating this girl... one night she beat him up... he had to get many stitches and was black and blue. He was 6'3" and a very built guy... his gf was maybe 120lbs... but she successfully beat him up... he didn't fight back and was hesitant to restrain her for fear that he would be the one accused of abuse. Since he went to the hospital they reported the incident but nothing was really done... according to him the police told him that he was big enough he could have gotten away if he wanted to...
Old 12-28-2012, 07:44 PM

caranna is on a distinguished road

I found the video very disturbing, even though it was staged by actors. Abuse is very upsetting to me, in any way, shape or form.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:33 PM

murphyslaw is on a distinguished road

That video really really made me angry.An assault is an assault.Often law abiding people will take whatever is done to them rather than even attempt to defend themselves.Now take another spin on this woman, clearly having no problem attacking her partner in public.What about if this woman had children?What would someone who had no problem attacking a grown man who was physically able to withstand some of that assault,do to a child?

That weirdo doing the rocky moves was just disturbing.Normal people shy from violence in real life ....she enjoyed it. A disturbing video all in all.Just incase..if someone asked that man, did he require assistance and he said yes......That person could have made a citizens arrest against that woman and restrained her until the police came.Obviously you would have to call the police straight away and use only as much force as was needed.All of us can do that, not just security guards.

Thank goodness it was an actor and actress, but still the lack of interest of the bystanders was just disappointing.Violence is never an answer or a solution for any relationship problems.
Old 12-29-2012, 12:50 AM

wretchedotis is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldclub View Post
I brought this up in another thread but I would like to stoke some conversation here on the issue of how we see things, men, women, people in positions of authority. I saw this on ABC News.

Reaction To Women Abusing Men In Public - YouTube

What do you think?
Without reading anyone's reply (I wanted to give my own first impression) I would like to poiny out to you a famous psychology experiment (if memory serves was orchestrated by Zimbardo) where students were told to take on roles of prisoner and prisoner gaurd.

The experiment was famously stopped early, as the abuse of authority became too much as to outweigh the benefit of continuing the experiment.

So, in other words, Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

If you (as either a man or a woman) are willing to give your 'pwer' away, then it will be taken.
Old 12-29-2012, 01:01 AM

SadAndTired is on a distinguished road

I remember learning about that in college Wretched! It was at Stanford.

Wikipedia link

You might find it facinating Bald, especially if you can find footage of it online. I remember thinking how amazing it was that the professors picked those that they felt were the most "normal and sane". It really speaks to the mentality of situations that abuse may be tolerated.
Old 12-29-2012, 01:09 AM

murphyslaw is on a distinguished road

Zimbardo - Stanford Prison Experiment

That experiment I also heard about at college.Its frightening to think of how far people will go to fulfil a "role".I have video links in this link too.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:50 PM

FightingForFamily will become famous soon enough

This article also presents a different view of domestic violence. I don't heavily endorse MRM sites, but this article definitely gives you something to think about.

A different look at men’s violence | A Voice for Men
Old 01-18-2013, 11:16 PM

hadenough is on a distinguished road

I didn't want to start a separate thread but this is interesting;

Nicole Ryan, Nova Scotia
Nicole Ryan, Abused Wife Who Sought Hit Man, Free After Supreme Court Stays Case