Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Domestic Violence

Domestic Violence Dealing with abuse and violence. Getting support and help.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2010, 07:22 PM

standing on the sidelines is on a distinguished road
Default abandonment

I have a feeling the my Moms ex is blowing smoke out his rear. He is still in the hospital after the stoke and now he is saying that she will be facing additional charges for abandoing him (not letting him come back to her home) He says the police will be laying charges in three weeks. The guy has brothers and sisters who do not want anyting to do with him. I told her not to worry about it.

Has anyone ever heard of this type of charge? Or is he grasping at straws trying to guilt my mom to letting him move back in and take care of him instead of having to go to a nursing home. He has brothers and sisters so it is not like he has no one.
Old 08-18-2010, 07:43 PM

Mess is a jewel in the roughMess is a jewel in the roughMess is a jewel in the roughMess is a jewel in the rough

Police can only lay charges in a criminal matter, they don't lay civil charges. There is really no such thing as charges in civil/family law that the police would be involved in. Violation of a restraining order or other court order yes, but those become criminal charges. There is no abandonment in Ontario/Canada, it is grounds for divorce in some States. So my non-lawyer opinion is he is full of shit.
Old 08-18-2010, 07:45 PM

standing on the sidelines is on a distinguished road

ty
i thought that but needed to verify