Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law > Common Law Issues

Common Law Issues The law regarding common law relationships is different than in cases of divorce. Discuss the issues that affect unmarried couples here.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2006, 03:36 PM

monkey is on a distinguished road
Exclamation money question for commun law separation

I have been living for a women for now 5 years. Now we are splitting up. My mom past away last year and she let me some money and I would like to know I my ex is entitle to dig in that money? Also can she claim half of the think that I personnaly bought while together?
thank you
Old 11-29-2006, 06:57 PM

logicalvelocity has a spectacular aura aboutlogicalvelocity has a spectacular aura aboutlogicalvelocity has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via Yahoo to logicalvelocity

monkey,

welcome to the forum,

You are in Alberta so Alberta laws apply.

As you mentioned,

Quote:
I have been living for a women for now 5 years.
I am not sure but I believe the Alberta Laws would see your relationship as common law and as such spousal support may be an issue.

Quote:
My mom past away last year and she let me some money and I would like to know I my ex is entitle to dig in that money?
I believe the proceeds from your mother's estate remain to be your own as long as same was kept separate and apart.

Quote:
Also can she claim half of the think that I personally bought while together?
I believe if you purchased certain items and can prove same, they will remain to be your own.

The applicable statute that will apply to your circumstance is the Family Law ACT Alberta

http://www.justice.gov.ab.ca/families/default.aspx

lv
Old 01-17-2007, 04:13 PM

Taestoy is on a distinguished road
Default Tip for Monkey

Not sure what the law is in Alberta but in Ontario it's the only time you don't have to split the cash and share with your spouse or ex is when u receive an inheritance.

Taestoy
Closed Thread