Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law > Common Law Issues

Common Law Issues The law regarding common law relationships is different than in cases of divorce. Discuss the issues that affect unmarried couples here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2016, 04:19 PM

OrleansLawyer is a jewel in the roughOrleansLawyer is a jewel in the roughOrleansLawyer is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
I would think that in a case in which your inheritance was used to buy and renovate a house for both of you, it would be difficult to make the case that you had suffered a loss
Inheritance funds were lost.
Old 01-07-2016, 05:59 PM

stripes is on a distinguished road

But were they lost? It sounds like the funds went into paying for a home in which the OP and his ex lived for nine (?) years, so both the OP and his ex realized a benefit from those funds. My understanding of unjust enrichment in the common-law context is that one party has to suffer a loss which corresponds to a benefit to the other party, as a result of resources transferred from the first party to the second party - e.g. A takes over paying for B's school loans; B uses the money he saved by not making loan payments to buy stocks in his name only, which he keeps at the end of the relationship. The benefits to B (acquiring stocks with extra money) correspond directly to the loss to A (because A didn't realize any benefit from paying off B's student loan). I think it is trickier when both parties are benefiting, as in the case of a shared residence.

Of course I am not a lawyer, etc.
Old 01-08-2016, 10:03 AM

OrleansLawyer is a jewel in the roughOrleansLawyer is a jewel in the roughOrleansLawyer is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
My understanding of unjust enrichment in the common-law context is that one party has to suffer a loss which corresponds to a benefit to the other party, as a result of resources transferred from the first party to the second party
Loss to OP: Inheritance funds are lost
Benefit to Ex: Increased value of asset

Tags
down payment, family home, inheritance