Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law > Common Law Issues

Common Law Issues The law regarding common law relationships is different than in cases of divorce. Discuss the issues that affect unmarried couples here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2013, 05:29 PM

MohGrana is on a distinguished road
Default Help filling out form 8 and 13.1

I will be filing an application to request CS & SS, as well property division on a 13 year common law relationship that has come to an end. I need to use the right wording, any advice?

Thank you.
Old 12-06-2013, 06:11 PM

arabian is on a distinguished road

Some colleges offer night courses for writing legal briefs/correspondence for self-representing. Check it out in your area. You will need to be able to do more than fill out forms to be successful. You will have to understand the legal process.

If you start doing some personal research you will get an idea of wording.

Some people on this forum have been successful in representing themselves by committing a massive amount of time into learning the process.

Learn to walk before you run.
Old 12-06-2013, 06:14 PM

blinkandimgone has a spectacular aura aboutblinkandimgone has a spectacular aura aboutblinkandimgone has a spectacular aura about

https://formsassistant.ontariocourtf...a/Welcome.aspx
Old 12-06-2013, 06:18 PM

arabian is on a distinguished road

I just click on to that site - good resource. I particularly like the "click on" part where you can find out how to hide that you've been on the site.
Old 12-06-2013, 08:35 PM

blinkandimgone has a spectacular aura aboutblinkandimgone has a spectacular aura aboutblinkandimgone has a spectacular aura about

Here are some other great resources, too:

How to Prepare a Financial Statement under the Family Law Rules | The Law Society of Upper Canada

A sample Financial statement:

http://www.lsuc.on.ca/WorkArea/Downl...?id=2147491036

And for Form 8:

How to Prepare an Uncontested Divorce by Simple Application | The Law Society of Upper Canada

See the different links at the bottom for samples of the different forms filled out.
Old 12-11-2013, 05:46 PM

My spouse has renovated the bathroom and is planning to do install new doors and windows. We are in the middle of a separation, and the house is in dispute but no court order is in place, nor a separation agreement has been even dealt with. The house is on her name, but I have contributed in the mortgage and am entitled to half of the property but she is ignoring my rights. Most of lawyers I saw for a consultation have agreed that I am entitled to half of the property and asset... she is taking advantage of the fact that I am severely ill, and I need to know what I could do to protect myself before she even tries something else, such as selling the house.

Any Advice.
Old 12-11-2013, 05:58 PM

She is ignoring you rights, how? By having new windows and doors put on?
Old 12-11-2013, 06:06 PM

We have not finalized nor even started the separation agreement on all issues arisen upon our relationship breakdown. Please let me know if you know about these kind of matters, and I just want to know if she is allowed to do all this without my consent as we still live here, and my lawyer has told me I have exactly the same rights as she does.
Old 12-11-2013, 06:22 PM

Yes, she is allowed to do it without your consent, just the same as when you were married. She owns the house, too, and if you wanted to you could do the same - just as you could have before separation.
Old 12-11-2013, 06:29 PM

I see, and this is from the legal perspective that you are telling me this I assume. How about selling the house? can she without telling me if she is planning it?

Thank you.