View Single Post
Old 08-20-2010, 04:27 PM

LostFather is on a distinguished road
Default Bill C 422

Well I got a typical political response from my MP concerning the bill, but at least he responded I guess. Below is his response:

Thank you for your recent correspondence regarding Bill C-422. I am always happy to respond to the questions and concerns of my constituents.

Bill C-422 is still being reviewed by the Government and a position has not been taken at this time. We believe that strong families are the foundation of our society and that the best interests of the child are paramount. Clearly, the "best interests of the child" is a fundamental principle of family law not only in Canada, but in many countries around the world.

Our Government is committed to promoting positive outcomes for the entire family during separation or divorce. Since parents usually understand their children better than anyone else, our Government strongly encourages parents cooperate to make parenting arrangements in their children's best interests.

Further, we have been working closely with the provinces and territories to help them. For example, as part of the five-year Supporting Families Experiencing Separation and Divorce Initiative (SFI) that began on April 1, 2009, the Government of Canada is providing financial assistance to the provinces and territories for family justice services such as parent education and mediation. The Government is continuing to work closely with the provinces and territories to ensure that Canada's family laws are as fair as possible to all parties. We believe that strong families are the foundation of our society and that the best interests of the child are paramount.

Thank you again for taking the time to write regarding this issue. If you have any further questions or concerns please do not hesitate to contact my office.

Yours sincerely,

Gary Goodyear, P.C., M.P.