View Single Post
Old 05-25-2010, 07:32 AM

logicalvelocity has a spectacular aura aboutlogicalvelocity has a spectacular aura aboutlogicalvelocity has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via Yahoo to logicalvelocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by EqualParent View Post
The Divorce Act is a federal legislation. Thus the reason for us to write to your local Federal MP to indicate the importance of supporting this bill. However, the provinces will implement the laws through the courts so for sustainable reform, the provinces need to be on board as well... So contacting your local MPP may also be a worthwhile effort.
I'm aware of the Federal Statute. However, as a starting point in Ontario - Apparently the presumption exists under Section 20 of the Children's Law Reform Act, R.S.O. 1990, c. C.12 For instance:

Quote:
...Under the Children’s Law Reform Act, a mother and father are equally entitled to custody of a child. When an access dispute breaks out, judges use a list of criteria to determine whether or not to depart from an equal-access regime.

Judge Ingram ruled that Ms. Johne and Mr. Cavannah’s child would be best served by a 50/50 access arrangement....

http://www.ottawadivorce.com/forum/f...tfeeding-6931/
Quote:
Originally Posted by EqualParent View Post
The online petition is just one of many ways to try to get attention to the Bill. Writing to your MP is also an approach too that should be done as well. What we really need is to start preaching to the non-converted. Starting with your friends and family is a good start. However, my experience so far in getting my friends involve have been abit disappointing so far. I've only email a few friends (to test the water) and it took abit of nagging to get them to even just sign the online petition. What I will be doing is printing out a letter template asking their local MP to support Bill C-422. Then I'll go around and get my friends/family to sign them and I'll mail them on their behalf. Otherwise, most of them likely will just put it off for a more convenient time and then they'll end up forgetting all together.
Many parents who have intact relationships -- Couldn't care less about the cause until their own relationship failed and find themselves on the outside looking in when it comes to their children.

Considering Divorce statistic hovering about 50% - some will be on board soon enough.