View Single Post
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 11-09-2017, 11:30 PM
blinkandimgone's Avatar
blinkandimgone blinkandimgone is offline
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Lucknow
Posts: 5,225
blinkandimgone has a spectacular aura aboutblinkandimgone has a spectacular aura aboutblinkandimgone has a spectacular aura about

Thanks, Trinton, for the entirely unhelpful posts.

Originally Posted by excel View Post
so i just got off the phone with a free lawyer supplied thru work and she tells me that it doesn't matter anyways because the CRA only started to recognize that both parents might be able to claim the eligible dependant starting last year ?

she says even if i was able to go to court and get the original agreement changed to say that we both paid each other rather than offset , i could not get it to be retro back to 2013 because the tax law didnt exist back then.

can this be true or did i basically get what i didnt pay for ?
Try speaking with an accountant or a tax lawyer about the specifics if needed. But no, you can claim the eligible dependent before then. You may only be able to go back 13 months retroactively for CCTB, however someone in the field will be able to answer your question with more authority. It sounds like the person you spoke with either did not understand the situation and order or was not fully educated in the area. But get what you pay for
Reply With Quote