View Single Post
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 11-09-2017, 11:57 AM
HammerDad HammerDad is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 3,724
HammerDad will become famous soon enough

First off, you made a mistake allowing the kids to move 2 hours away. When the ex moved, you should've filed a motion to have them returned to their familiar jurisdiction. The ex can move all they want, the kids can't. However, depending on how long ago that was, it is unlikely that you can cause the kids to move back.

So the ex never consulted you about the activities and unilaterally enrolled them when they had never done them before? Well in that case, I'd let the ex know to get bent! Should she attempt to deny access due to an activity on your parenting time, I would send an email advising them that they do not have the ability to unilaterally determine when you exercise your parenting time. That they never sought your consent to the activity, and you have not otherwise consented. While having the children involved in activities is important, that it is also important that they have full and loving relationship with both of their parents. That should they want to enroll the children into activities, that they ensure that such activity doesn't interfere with your parenting time. And should the activity interfere with your parenting time, that they seek your prior consent to enrolling the children. That due to their unilateral decision to move from the child's familiar location, you cannot facilitate the activities at this time. As such, you expect the children to be made available for your parenting time as per the agreement/order/status quo.

It may require you to seek the assistance of your lawyer should the ex deny you your parenting time. If they do deny your parenting time, you need to send them an email advising you do not agree with their unilateral decision to withhold the children, and ask that they provide makeup time for the missed time at the earliest opportunity. Give 3 dates that work for you, let them choose one. State that if they do not advise by X date (like 3-4 days from your email), you will choose a date and inform them as soon as possible.

You need to do everything via email. If the ex calls, let it go to voicemail. You then listen to the voicemail, if it is an emergency regarding the kids, you call back. If it is child related, but not an emergency (ie. they are saying you can't pick up the kids) you send an email back noting their voicemail and advising of your position. If it is just them ranting, ignore it.

Activities are good for the kids. Your ex needs to understand that they need your consent to enroll them into stuff that impacts you. If it is all on their parenting time, they don't need to consult you unless they expect you to pay part.
Reply With Quote