View Single Post
Old 11-08-2017, 10:34 AM

Tayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Martins View Post
I know what a good lawyer is as I've been in a ton of legal situations in business, which doesn't translate well to family law. And yes good or great lawyers are concise and also see resolution IMO.
You are correct, it doesn't translate well at all. That is why you need to go vertical when choosing a family law lawyer. You need one that specializes in the very complex and often overly emotional situation of family law. It is not like any other area of law when being applied in my humble opinion.

That is why you don't want a lawyer that does it on the side. There are lots in Southern Ontario. You just need to go to a court house and watch a few motions and see who they are.

Quote:
In everything I have done in my life I started as a novice.. now not saying I want to do this with my kids future, but I do enjoy learning and the experience. I do wish I knew some things early on as I wouldnt have settled for access agreement. That said, that was after 5 months of no access so I probably would have agreed to anything at that point to see my daughter.
But, you didn't have to wait that long. A good FAMILY LAW LAWYER could have put the resolution in motion much sooner and negated issues you are dealing with now.

Quote:
I had one motion go very well for me, and one go very bad. The bad one though it wasn't the right forum to seek what I was seeking. I don't plan to do law full time but even if I was fully represented I would want to learn as much as I can.
Well, being unrepresented means you need to be as experienced and knowledgeable as a lawyer. It will take you years (5+) to get to a point you can properly represent yourself. But, the emotional factor of you being in the situation will cloud it. So even if you are smart as a whip and have a law degree... You more than likely won't be successful.

A person who is their own lawyer has a fool for a client. A lawyer who represents themselves has a client who is an even bigger fool.

Quote:
How is the best way to include jurisprudence in pleadings? Just site the case or provide it as an exhibit?
In a Factum or Book of Authorities depending on the situation. This is where a lawyer can help. You should never use case law in your pleadings.

Good Luck!
Tayken