View Single Post
Old 09-13-2017, 09:59 AM

momto1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berner_Faith View Post
Sorry you are going through this. Divorce is tough and finances after divorce are even harder.

He should be able to talk to his case worker and work out a payment plan with FRO. To my knowledge as long as he is making payments they can't take aggressive actions. FRO has a set procedure they have to follow and I assume what he is receiving is one of their threatening letters. However it will depend on what he is paying... you state he is giving FRO 20-25% of his commissions, however that number can very greatly depending on the houses he is selling.

What is his monthly CS? His current arrears? Average he pays FRO each time?

As for the house, as common law he wouldn't automatically be entitled to anything, especially if he isn't contributing to the house. Once married however yes he would be entitled to a split of the house. Once married you two basically become one unit... his debt only comes into play if the marriage would to end but anything before the marriage is taken into consideration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The problem is that the case worker and the 50% threat was over the phone, he hasn't gotten a letter yet. He had to contact FRO for a statement of his arrears for the real estate board because there was a discrepancy between his original realtor license registration (which he filled out over the phone with a RECO employee) and his renewal re; the child support arrears. The phone call is what set all this stuff in motion.
It's comforting to know they can't take aggressive actions.

Yeah, it varies a lot. The average payment is between $320-$400 per payment on a commission of about $1600.(his cut after his brokerage and other agent cut and this is on anything listed under 50k since it's base fee rather than percentage commission)Houses in northern Ontario are typically pretty cheap and as a newbie, he has to deal a lot with the lower priced land lease deals and rural hunting camps which are obviously much lower priced and has to drive as far as 3 hours each way to list them. He also has to set aside the 15% for taxes and the rest has to be able to cover his monthly realtor fees and insurance,gas, maintenance etc.

I dont even know what his monthly CS payment is supposed to be. He pays for two kids but he technically has had less than 15k/year income for the last 4 years while completing his courses and getting started in our previous town, then moving here for a better quality of life and starting over with building up his business in an area we actually plan to settle in. His arrears are currently between $7,000-8,000

Re; The house, So once we get married, is FRO than able to put a lien on the house then?