View Single Post
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 07-26-2017, 05:55 PM
Soiled Soiled is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Alberta
Posts: 165
Soiled is on a distinguished road

If you plan to use the Eligible Dependant Credit on your taxes, you're going to get rejected by the CRA. If your going to claim the credit, then I would definitely get the order reworded.

You will want it to specifically state the amount of child support that each of you are to pay to the other. As soon as the CRA reads your order, and see that it only declares you as the payor, they will reject your entitlement to the credit. It HAS to state that both of you are paying child support to eachother. They willfully choose to not understand what offset actually means for some reason.

Myself, even with my order worded properly, I think the first three years after my seperation when I filed taxes, I had to dispute their denial of my eligibility to claim the credit, which takes a significant period of time, and is frankly a pain in the ass.
Reply With Quote