Thread: Uniform
View Single Post
Old 07-10-2017, 12:45 PM

SadAndTired is on a distinguished road

Tayken, YOUR simple answer is no.

My answer would be it depends. My lawyer's answer was yes.

Here is the Ontario Child Support Guidelines:

https://www.ontario.ca/laws/regulation/970391 See 7.1.d

7.**(1)**In an order for the support of a child, the court may, on the request of either parent or spouse or of an applicant under section 33 of the Act, provide for an amount to cover all or any portion of the following expenses, which expenses may be estimated, taking into account the necessity of the expense in relation to the childís best interests and the reasonableness of the expense in relation to the means of the parents or spouses and those of the child and to the spending pattern of the parents or spouses in respect of the child during cohabitation:
(a) child care expenses incurred as a result of the custodial parentís employment, illness, disability or education or training for employment;
(b) that portion of the medical and dental insurance premiums attributable to the child;
(c) health-related expenses that exceed insurance reimbursement by at least $100 annually, including orthodontic treatment, professional counselling provided by a psychologist, social worker, psychiatrist or any other person, physiotherapy, occupational therapy, speech therapy, prescription drugs, hearing aids, glasses and contact lenses;

(d) extraordinary expenses for primary or secondary school education or for any other educational programs that meet the childís particular needs;

(e) expenses for post-secondary education; and
(f) extraordinary expenses for extracurricular activities. O.*Reg. 391/97, s.*7*(1); O.*Reg. 446/01, s.*2.

Extraordinary is relative. The school requires a uniform. It is mandatory and not something a teen would wear when not at school.

New uniforms for my daughter to attend Catholic High School cost me over $700 last year. Her high school is very specific and has their own provider. We simply can't run down to the local store and get what we need. That $700 was in addition to her back pack, gym uniform, other school stuff and normal fall clothing needs/shoes/coats/etc.

If I was receiving $300 a month, high school uniforms would certainly be section 7.

Last edited by SadAndTired; 07-10-2017 at 12:52 PM.