View Single Post
Old 06-22-2017, 08:59 PM

OrleansLawyer is a jewel in the roughOrleansLawyer is a jewel in the roughOrleansLawyer is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
LSUC appears at best reluctant to discipline such lawyers.
Often, parties attribute motives to their ex's lawyers that are not there. A lot of suspect behavior is a matter of any of the following:
- the lawyer does not have the information/documents/whatever from their client, and so cannot give them to you;
- you are not entitled to them, and so they are within their rights not to give them;
- your ex is unreasonable and it is the lawyer's job to represent your ex;
- you are unreasonable and it is the lawyer's job to represent your ex;
- your ex is lying to you about what their lawyer has done/said/whatever;
- the relationship between your ex and their lawyer has broken down, and so while they are on record at court there is minimal communication;
- the matter is outside of the lawyer's retainer (for example, the 3-way call with a real estate agent - what value can the lawyer contribute?);
- the lawyer has clients other than your ex, which means your ex's file is on a shelf gathering dust because it is not urgent; or
- something else.

If you check out the discipline digest on the LSUC website, you can find a number of lawyers who behaved like asses (and were chastised). But quite often, LSUC reports disappear into a hole because the lawyer's reply is, "my client's ex has reported me because I did not give them information. I did not give it to them because I don't have it. They are angry with their ex.", and that really is the heart of the issue.