View Single Post
Old 06-07-2017, 07:57 PM

mathatter89 is on a distinguished road

Thanks Arabian.

1) Joint accounts have been closed since separation
2) Have my lawyer of choice lined up and will most likely retain him and have a meeting with another in case choice #1 falls through

After speaking with another lawyer today, even if the separation agreement is valid and a judge does not overturn it, I was told that a ex-spouse still has the right to seek SS, even if she waived it in the separation agreement.(which she did) I will also say that a judge may not find that fair (waiving SS) so this point is definitely arguable and is probably what she wants.

---------

Question 1:
Why is a financial disclosure required on my part at all? If it comes down to a SS payment (lump sum or monthly), don't I just have to agree to it and pay it?

Ultimately it is my lawyers' belief that the separation agreement is enforceable and if my ex wants to overturn that she'll have to take it all the way to a judge.

Therefore I'm not sure why I have to do a formal financial disclosure if it comes down to a SS discussion - I get that my last 3 years worth of tax returns are necessary and I have to be able to pay it (e.g. most recently paystub and YTD info), but not sure why I have to do a full financial disclosure (by way of the form?)

Question 2: I have been told that the SS payment is done via a guidelines and that it will be based on the difference between my income and hers (based on our 2016 tax returns). If that's the case, why do I keep on hearing that "because she makes more now (in 2017), it'll help me? If it's all based on 2016, who cares about 2017?

Thanks