View Single Post
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 06-06-2017, 08:05 PM
mathatter89 mathatter89 is offline
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 46
mathatter89 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by arabian View Post
Then you have assets - cash You are dividing up your assets....equalization of assets.

Spousal support is entirely different. She may or may not be entitled to SS. If she makes a claim for SS then you would be wise to hire a lawyer. However, she would have to prove why she is entitled to SS (3 year marriage set her career back - hard to do with no children).

Many people think that the words "spousal support" should never come out of your mouth until she formally makes a claim. Always keep in mind that should she be successful (down the road) with her claim, it may be retroactive to the time when she first raised the subject of SS.

So, I guess you will wait now to see what her lawyer sends to you.

Good luck!
Ok, yes, I think that SS would be hard to prove. She changed her career due to health reasons and so she did take a step back, but that was because of her health and we are both in our twenties.

I'm curious. If either her parent provided money to pay off the odd credit card bill and my parents did that as well, and neither of us disclosed that prior to the separation agreement, does that make the entire agreement invalid because we failed to disclose this? (this is not a material amount to either party). Thanks!
Reply With Quote