View Single Post
Old 05-24-2017, 11:13 AM

Tayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrleansLawyer View Post
This sentiment is why it won't happen.

Are there cases that a somewhat obtuse monkey could handle? Absolutely.
Are there cases that merit counsel with significant experience? Absolutely.

Without a way to distinguish between them paralegals will not be permitted to run family cases.
A quick and easy path to anything is not always the best path. But, there need to be options. The single option of legal counsel is not the only answer.

I suspect that for any change to be effective a significant change to the Rules (CLRA, FLR, et all...) need to happen. The rules as they stand are not "civil" in nature. By that I mean, the vast majority of "civil"ians cannot understand them.

For any Rule to work they need to be understandable by a grade 8 educated human. It has taken me years to understand all the permutations and combinations (differences and gaps) in the Rules.

Justice Czutrin has some wise words in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErF7bYzQmms

More "unrepresented" litigants are coming. In fact, last time I was at the courthouse ever single scheduled matter had two unrepresented litigants in the courthouse. The only counsel around was there on duty.

The reality is that the law needs to serve the general population. Not the 1% of highly educated and trained. Imagine if a phone was as complex as our legal system. Apple stock would suck.

We live in an age of "self-service". A disruptor to the legal system is coming. It is ripe for the picking in my humble opinion for significant automation.

If we can automate major elements of health care with things like CPOE why can't we do the same to our legal system?

What Cuztrin talks to in the video is strikingly similar to CPOE systems now in use in the majority of hospitals. Similar intake automation could be done in the legal system.

Note: The same argument was made by doctors about Nurse Practitioners in the late 70s and early 80s... Now they are a MAJOR component of health care delivery. In fact, they significantly have improved wait time and resolutions to what was once deemed "too complex" for them to handle.

Rather than objecting to something it may be better to investigate how to use the opportunity that Paralegals present to family law.

Good Luck!
Tayken