View Single Post
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 05-15-2017, 03:21 PM
OrleansLawyer OrleansLawyer is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,692
OrleansLawyer is a jewel in the roughOrleansLawyer is a jewel in the roughOrleansLawyer is a jewel in the rough

Two cases to be taken as the starting point:

A not-uncommon position for adult children living away from home is as follows:
- "Summer table" periodic support paid year round. The Summer table is one-third of the regular guideline amount of support, as the child resides with one parent for one third of the year (being May through August). Paying year round assists in budgeting since the home is maintained all year.
- The s.7 expense of education includes reasonable living costs, however any scholarships, RESP and the child's contribution are deducted. If the child receives OSAP (or other student loans) these are part of the child's deduction since the child must repay them in future. Often the child's contribution is either set at a fixed number, or being all of their discretionary spending, or at a percentage of the cost. The impact this will have on the child ought to be considered by the parents.
- The remaining cost is the actual s.7 expense, which is shared in proportion to income (keeping in mind that tax credits from the child impacts the cost!) in most cases. Since the child uses the funds for their schooling and subsistence it is not uncommon for the funds to be paid directly to the child when tuition is due, to maintain them through the semester.

For a parent seeking full guideline support for a child residing away from home for the majority of the year, paragraph 28 of the Park cases addresses the issue succinctly.
Reply With Quote