View Single Post
Old 04-05-2017, 10:12 AM

arabian will become famous soon enough

Wow that ^ was uncalled for.

I think the current, typical manner in retaining lawyers works if the client has their shit together:

You meet with the potential lawyer and discuss your situation and of course the costs anticipated/typical for a contested divorce. At this point the lawyer knows little about your situation unless you have provided a brief/summary prior to your initial meeting with the lawyer. Many people do not do this. You also have to review, very carefully, your expectations with the lawyer. Hindsight is futile.

You pay a retainer (let's say 5,000.00 for example). You sign a retainer agreement which sets out the arrangement in great detail.

You ask for a monthly invoice. Many people do not do this. The monthly invoice has a break-down of costs. You will see very clearly of how much it costs each and every time you phone/email or meet with your lawyer. You will see how much it costs for the lawyer to send and receive communication on your behalf. After receiving your first invoice you can extrapolate the amounts and get a fairly good idea of how much the matter is likely to cost you. Of course, you have already set out a "plan of action(s)" with your lawyer.

At this point you make the decision to carry on with this lawyer or hire another one. If you decide to dismiss the lawyer, you will receive a final invoice/statement and if there is money left over from your $5,000.00 (how many times did you call/meet with your lawyer?) you will receive a refund.

I do not see any mystery in this process at all. If client wants to micro-manage the lawyer then the costs will be reflected on the bill.

If I were a lawyer I would never agree to a set amount to take a matter through trial. There are too many unknowns (client or client's ex may be suffering from mental health issues - to just name one).

I'd recommend retaining a lawyer and be as organized as possible. Also helps if one is realistic in expectations.