Thread: Hello
View Single Post
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 01-21-2017, 05:33 PM
stripes stripes is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2,836
stripes is on a distinguished road

With respect to one of the OP's questions - how can she serve papers when she hasn't seen ex for two years and doesn't know where he is - she can request an order for substituted service. This means that she would have to prepare an affidavit saying that she can't find the ex, what steps she has taken to try to find him, and what an alternative to serving the papers on him personally might be (e.g. sending papers to his mother, leaving them on his car, sending them to his last known workplace, etc). If the order is granted, the OP can proceed with her divorce (and possibly with other matters, like the mortgage renewal, but I'm not sure about that) even if she can't locate her ex. The exact procedure for an order for substituted service varies by province, but this is something that a clerk at the courthouse should be able to help with.
Reply With Quote