View Single Post
Old 01-07-2017, 06:27 PM

trinton has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by arabian View Post
Your words: ..."The father is then bullied and taken advtange of , not having a lawyer although financially eligible, due to our lame sorry-ass ill-funded legal aid system, and is forced to sign something under duress and when the lame sorry-ass duty counsel refuses to give him legal advice because she was overloaded by our lame sorry-ass fludded and back-logged court system and didn't have time to discuss with him....'

Legal Aid websites (Canada-wide) clearly set out their qualifying income for various levels of coverage of legal aid certificates.

Is Legal Aid underfunded and understaffed?

It is generally accepted that before people go to court they should have some basic idea of the process they are about to get involved with. An exception to this might be if the litigant had a mental deficiency or was below basic intelligence level as there is ample information online available to anyone. There are family law information clinics where people can obtain information from lawyers for free. Sure you have to probably wait a while but 'beggars can't be choosers' can they?

Ultimately, in family court, you are 100% responsible for your own misery. You can educate yourself or not. Options are readily available for those motivated.
Let me tell you something about legal aid and I will also take the opportunity to say the same about OCL. These organizations operate on money and funds. They have a pool of funds they use to fund parents. When a mom and dad run to them (when both are financially eligible) they will fund the mom because she claims she is a victim of domestic violence and they will tell the father to screw off. The father is disadvantaged because clearly he cannot afford a lawyer on welfare. True story.

Legal aid is going to continue to say fuck off to the father and tell him he is responsible to know the law. we don't care if you went to law school or not, go learn the law, but we will help out your ex. she doesn't have to learn the law, we'll help her screw you over. We don't have enough money to pay both of you.

This is of course not to mention that the courts don't like self represented parties because the system is designed for experienced professionals.

The same is true with OCL, they will often decide to take your case or not depending on their funding pool. If it is running low, they will preserve it for critical cases, if it is the beginning of the year and the got a ton of funding, then it's we'll take whatever comes our way.

Legal aid does of course have duty counsel services, but they're not your lawyers, some are very good and some are useless. You go see them and rely on them, but they refuse to give you legal advice, you are screwed over and end up back in court.

Let me ask you this, why do we even have lawyers, why do we even need lawyers if you are expected to know everything yourself? Why do lawyers themselves hire lawyers to represent them? If the lawyer's know it all why don't they just represent themselves then?

Not to completely bash the system, things have been going well for me so far, but is just taking way too long and I continue to miss out on my child's childhood while waiting for the wheels of our justice system to turn. Taking a person's house, car or salary is one thing but taking a person's child is another.