View Single Post
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 08-20-2016, 01:16 PM
DGES DGES is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 10
DGES is on a distinguished road
Default Help with child care calculation

First time posting here. I was recently told about this site and found it extremely helpful. However, I have not been able to find information that deals specifically to my issue.

The problem arises in that my Ex and I are disputing how much I am supposed to pay for child care.
I purchased the software to mimic the DivorceMate software used at my lawyers. It has been very easy to use and straight forward.
So, I believe the problem lies in the fact that the child care expenses have changed as my son is now old enough for a lower priced level of care this year. As a result each child is $420/month for a total of $10080.00 per year. The software calculator asks for the entry from her tax return for child care deduction which was based on last year's rate which was a bit higher for my son ($472) then my daughter ($420).
There was a post similar to this where a member here had said that the amount paid is based on actual costs going forward and the proportion of costs comes from the most recent tax return, which has the income from last year. So, it was my understanding that I would be paying for this year's child care using last year's income ratio. Assuming that is correct am I supposed to put in the child care tax deduction that she put on line 214 of her T1 General return into the calculator or do I put in what the projected deduction would be?

Basically, if the reduction in child care costs is what I believe the confusion is from. Do I pay for existing child care after we exchange taxes or do I pay for last year's child care to coincide with her deduction she claimed based on last year's rates. My question to that is then when my kids finish day care does that mean I still lag behind a year and pay for day care for a year after they are no longer in it?

If it helps these are the numbers:

10 years
6 years
Both live with Ex

My income: $75854

Her Income:$94720

Children Special Expense:
Child Care Expenses
Paid to Provider: (do I enter this year's estimated $10080 or last year's $10692?)
Claimed on Tax Return (Line 214 or her 2015 Tax return): $10692

Last edited by DGES; 08-20-2016 at 01:44 PM. Reason: error
Reply With Quote