View Single Post
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 01-30-2016, 02:35 PM
stripes stripes is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2,838
stripes is on a distinguished road

From what you have said, a restraining order or peace bond seems like a good idea. This kind of behaviour rarely goes away on its own - you need something to ensure that you and ex are never in physical proximity, so he can't harass or attack you. As Arabian says, these orders are usually reciprocal (you can't go near him, just like he can't go near you). You may need to enlist the assistance of third parties if you have to transfer the kids between one parent and another once a mutual restraining order or peace bond is in place.

Definitely speak to a domestic violence shelter about the best way to accomplish this. They can also help you to decide whether to push the police about charging your ex for assault. Police forces in some jurisdictions are notorious for not taking "domestics" seriously - viewing them as just disagreements between a couple or as a distraction from "real" crime. Depending on what kind of police you're dealing with, seeking assault charges may or may not be a good use of your time, but there are other ways to keep him away from you, like restraining orders.
Reply With Quote