Thread: Step-Parents
View Single Post
Old 03-14-2014, 12:48 PM
Hand of Justice

Links17 is on a distinguished road

Childhood Sexual Abuse: A Reference Handbook - Karen L. Kinnear - Google Books

Read page 8 - not vouching for its validity but this is an issue that is unstudied.

---------------------------

http://www.massey.ac.nz/~wwcppe/pape...4/cppeip4i.pdf

pg 96
Children are at far greater risk of abuse from step-parents than from natural parents.
The Christchurch Health and Development Study has collected data from a birth cohort
of over 1200 youngsters since 1977. A study of 1019 members of this cohort when they
were aged 18 year-olds found an overall prevalence rate of child sexual abuse of 10.4%
(n = 132).
Sexual abuse included incidents that were not identified as abusive by
those interviewed and ranged in severity from intercourse down to leering and
suggestive comments. Only 2 (1.5%) of those cases involved natural parents as
perpetrators but 22.5% of accused offenders were step-parents. A number of other
studies also have indicated that step-fathers are far more likely to engage in serious
sexual abuse with their step-daughters than natural fathers.
For example,
Finkelhor found
that “a step-father was five times more likely to sexually victimise a
daughter than was a natural father”
Biological fathers who form strong early attachments with their children and who are
actively involved in their children’s nurturing are far less likely to abuse them. Paternal
support in the form of affection, promotion of independence, and positive modelling /
fairness reduces the likelihood of abuse. Furthermore, a strong father / child bond acts
as a mitigating effect, reducing the chance of children developing ongoing problems
should they suffer maltreatment in the future.

---------------------

Remarriage is generally considered positive because of the financial aspect and it "makes the mother happy" but I THINK that is just an assumption and the net impact on the children is negative (just theorizing here).

------------------------

These things need to be examined I think.