View Single Post
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 10-12-2005, 11:45 AM
Lindsay's Avatar
Lindsay Lindsay is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 378
Lindsay has a spectacular aura aboutLindsay has a spectacular aura aboutLindsay has a spectacular aura about

Hi Mans,

Welcome to our forum. I understand situations like this can be quite frustrating.

Courts can be very picky when it comes to divorce documents. As aggravating as it may seem, they are doing this for your own protection. Particularly, if children are involved and child support is an issue, a judge will not sign a divorce order unless he or she is satisfied that the children are properly supported.

I don't have all of the details, but it sounds like you are in the final stages of an uncontested divorce. Chances are the affidavit for divorce and ancilliary documents have been submitted and sent up to the judge. If all goes well, the divorce order will be signed. Once that happens, there is a 31-day waiting period from the date of the divorce order before you and your ex are officially divorced.

If the divorce order is not signed, you may want to consider speaking with another lawyer to complete your divorce. This will depend, however, on whether you are the applicant in simple uncontested divorce or if this is a joint uncontested divorce. If you are a respondent in a simple uncontested divorce and have noted yourself in default, there is not much you can do at this point. If this is the case, you may want to consider suggesting to your ex that the divorce be completed with another lawyer.