Thread: Legal Help
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2005, 11:13 PM
Administrator

Jeff has much to be proud ofJeff has much to be proud ofJeff has much to be proud ofJeff has much to be proud ofJeff has much to be proud ofJeff has much to be proud ofJeff has much to be proud ofJeff has much to be proud of
Default Legal Help

I am a big believer in self-help for people going through a divorce, and these forums are here to support that belief.

However, it is important that if you are separating you meet with a lawyer to get an overview of your situation, your legal rights and obligations, the different procedures you might follow, and what legal options you have.

I also believe that a paid consultation with a lawyer is the best way to go, as there's no such thing as a free lunch.

However, I realize that lawyers are expensive. If you meet certain income qualifications, in Ontario you may qualify for legal aid. The toll-free number for Legal Aid Ontario is 1-800-668-8258.

As well, in Ontario, the Law Society of Upper Canada provides a Lawyer Referral Service. This service will refer you to a lawyer who will provide you with a half-hour consultation for $6.00 (charged to your phone bill). Their number is 1-800-668-7380.