Foreign Divorce in Ontario

Recognition of foreign divorce decrees in Ontario

Here are instructions for obtaining a marriage certificate in Ontario if you were divorced abroad.

Dear Ms Smith:

Re: Application for a marriage licence

As your previous marriage was dissolved in the New Jersey, rather than Canada, you must obtain authorization from the Ministry of Consumer and Commercial Relations before a marriage licence may be issued.

To do so, you must submit the following to:

The Office of the Registrar General
P.O. Box 4600
189 Red River Road
Thunder Bay, Ontario
P7B 6L8

Attention: The Marriage Office

1. A completed marriage licence application signed by both people who want to marry.

2. The original of the decree of divorce (and certified translation). The Ministry will return the decree of divorce to you if you enclose a self-addressed stamped envelope to ensure that this is done.

3. A statement of sole responsibility signed by both of you.

4. My legal opinion, explaining why your decree of divorce should be recognized in the Province of Ontario.

My understanding is that it now takes the Ministry four to five weeks to process the authorization. If you wish to speak with the Ministry directly, they may be reached at 1-800-461-2156.

Yours very truly,

Behrendt Professional Corporation

Further Resources
--> Will my divorce from another country be recognized in Canada?
--> Sample opinion letter for foreign divorce
--> Recognition of foreign divorce decrees in Ontario

Enter email to subscribe to Free Divorce Mini-Course